am I eligible for child tax credit or exemption for 17 year old daughter who is permanently disabled?

Two separate issues:

The child can be your dependent regardless of the disability since she is under 19.

The child is not eligible for the Child Tax Credit because she is not under 17.  There is no exception for disability for this credit.
    • Thank you! As above, still a bit confused??? Why does IRS provide "dependent exemption" stating age limit is waived if child is/was permanently disabled (my daughter is)? Confusing at best! Any ideas? Thanks for responding.
    • A person can be claimed as a dependent either as a "qualifying child" or as a "qualifying relative". One major difference between the two sets of requirements is an age limit. For person to be a "qualifying child" the person must be 18 or under, or 19-23 and a full time student. If a child is permanently and totally disabled, the age limit to be a "qualifying child" does not apply.
    • alexa, the answer to your question about "why" the dependent exemption has an age exception for disability while the child tax credit does not is because that's the way Congress wrote the tax law.  Now, if you can understand the mind of Congrress, you are a better person than I.
    • Thank you jerry2000 and Howard1948. I cannot understand the Congressional mind, nor shall I attempt to (ugh!). I'll take the deduction/s the easy way (Turbo Tax recommendations) and pass on trying to interpret the new tax laws. Less money back well worth less frustration now. :)  Thank you again for your help gentlemen.
    If you can claim the child as a dependent then you will get the dependent exemption , but the age limit for the child tax credit is absolute and disability doesn't matter.
    • Thank you. The age limit for eligibility, as well as I can interpret it, seems is clear, however, dependent exemption says "...unless child is/was permanently disabled..." Still kind of blurry to me? Why the exemption to age limit/s then? Any idea? Thank you again!