how do I claim credits for plug in electric cars

I bought a chevy volt in 2012 but see where to claim the credit
  • Can I claim the credit if I am leasing the Volt?
  • No, you must have purchased the vehicle to get the credit.
  • What about claiming tax credits on California for qualified electric vehicles, i.e., Toyota Plug-In Prius?  Where is this found on the state return??
The Chevy Volt qualifies for a $7500 tax credit on Form 8936. In TurboTax, select the Deductions & Credits tab, the "explore on my own." You'll see a long screen of various deductions & credits. There is a little car image next to "cars and other things you own." Select "Energy-Efficient Vehicles." The next screen will give you a choice of which type of vehicle you purchased. A Volt is in the first category "Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle." The program will ask for Battery Capacity in KWh. I believe the Volt has battery capacity of 16 KWh in the 2011 & 2012 model years and 16.5 KWh in the 2013 model year. Congratulations on your new car!

If you purchased a charging station, be sure to claim that in the next section of "cars and other things you own." The charging station is worth a 30% of cost credit and is claimed on Form 8911.

For both of these credits, you need to have enough tax liability to get a benefit from these credits. There is no carryover of any unused credit until next year.
  • Does this credit apply to a vehicle lease as well?  I leased a 2013 Volt and I have heard conflicting answers as to who gets the credit - the Leasing company or the customer.  Also, it seems the for 8936 still is not ready - hopefully this week?
  • I alreadty submitted my taxes for 2012.  After that I bought  a 2012 Chevy Volt. Can i amend the 2012 return for the tax credit now or do i have to wait till the 2013 tax return to submit the 2012 Plug-in electric tax credit?