After-tax HSA Contribution

I have an HSA and my employer contributes $1000 over the course of the year to it.  I also elected to have an additional $2000 taken via payroll deduction (pre-tax).  This resulted in my w2 from my employer showing $3000 contributed to my HSA.  Here is where I'm confused.  I also chose to deposit $3000 of after-tax money to my HSA making my total contribution $6000 ( note this is just beneath the $6050 limit for families in 2012).  Because these were after-tax dollars shouldn't I have to key it somewhere to reduce my total taxable income?  Turbo tax asks only asks me for contributions made from my employer (reported on my w2) when I attempt to add the remaining $3000 in after tax dollars to the other fields it decreases my refund -  What should I do? 
    Yes, you need to enter your after tax dollars over in the "HSA, MSA Contributions" interview that part of the "Deductions & Credits" area.  It will go in the "All Other Contributions" box on the page titled "Enter (Name)'s HSA Contributions".

Tom Young
    • I have this same question, but I don't get a screen with any line "All Other Contributions", please help. I don't know where to enter my aftertax contributions
    • I found the place to enter the after tax HSA contributions however, Turbotax increases my tax obligation for these contributions.  This seems incorrect.  I should not be taxed twice for HSA contributions.  Very confusing.  Clearly there are a lot of issues surrounding HSA in TT.
    • Similar problem.    HSA contribution made with -after tax money.   This was added to my HSA to cover an accidental check written for a  non-qualified purchase (non-medical related).    Since I am telling TurboTax only part of the money distributed for 2012 was spent on qualified expenses, TT is doing I think a 20% tax penalty.    But this was already taxed money.      This mistake was mine, but I cant be the only one who ever did this.    HSA part of TT seems to be lacking some scenarios.
    • I am in the same boat. I have an HSA, am unemployed, thusly contributing to my HSA completely after-tax. A few years ago when I had an HSA and was filing with TT, I ended up not getting a tax credit for contributing with after tax dollars. To lower my "liability" I ended up removing my personal contributions.

TT needs to realize that many are unemployed but want to keep their health insurance and accounts. When it comes to filing, there's really no place to favor those of us in this situation. Instead of charging more and more each tax period for using the TT software, perhaps you need to improve it for us. As it is, filing for 2013 for both state and federal, it's costing me $67.00 now. That's twice as much from what it was 3-4 years ago. Thanks in advance!
    I entered the extra contribution in the "All Other Contributions" field on the "Enter Your HSA Contributions" screen.  Upon clicking next, the tax due did increase.

However, a few screens later it asked me if I was in a 
    High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) for Health Savings Accounts.  For me, this answer is Yes.  When I completed this screen, the tax went down.

To make sure the extra contribution was not hurting me, I went back and removed it and my tax went up.