can you deduct fees for social security disability attorney fees

I hired a attorney to fight my social security disability claim. Can I deduct what was taken out of my SDID payment?
  • Where does the legal fee deduction go for fees paid to my attorney for social security disability?  I received an SSA-1099 from social security that lists the $6,000 attorney's fees, but TurboTax doesn't have an obvious place for this deduction under the Social Security Income section.
You may deduct legal fees on your tax return for collecting disputed Social Security only to the extent that your benefits are taxable on your tax return (i.e., if 50% of your social security is taxable, 50% of the legal fees would be deductible.)  That likely would result in no deduction if your payment of legal fees was for social security disability payments.

If deductible, the expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction.  Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

Example:  If your AGI is $50,000, only miscellaneous deductions over $1,000 are deductible.  Because of this, many items deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions have no tax value because the taxpayer doesn't itemize, or because they are lost in the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation.
  • please be more specific
  • thats what I said! is it yes or no?
  • You can't answer yes or no because it's not a yes or no answer.  As pointed out above, depending on the circumstances, some of it may be deductible.
  • This is so confsing.  Do I enter the amount here under legal fees or in misc itemized deductions?