I am being claimed as a dependent on my parent's taxes, do I claim my 1098-T form or does my parents?

• im claiming my daughter  on my taxes..  including the college stuff  and the 1098 T form.  however  on that form  there is one missing info in box 1  ..payment recieved .. no digits and left blank ..   while  box  5 .. scholarship/  grants   there is a digit  for it and i filled it in... ..  after i put all the info  they  request .. they still need me to do the box ! / ??  so how do i find that  or contact >>  thanks
  • You must contact the business office at your kids college to get what they actually paid to go to school.
  • If you are being claimed as a dependent then you can't file, they have to file with your credits.
  • my child turned 18 on 5/9/2012 she graduated from high school on 6/10/2012 then started collage on december 20/2012 she moved out how do we file and claim deductions to get the most back
    vpfox
  • What exactly do you mean by file with credits...this is my first time doing this.
Can my son file taxes and claim hisself?
  • I am having the same issue.  My parents claimed me on their taxes.  I tried another tax planning system and it took me past this area stating i did not have to complete the section because i was claimed by others
  • If you are your parents dependent, you check the box on the "Do Any of These Apply?" screen in the personal information section, that says " [  ] Someone Else can claim xxx on their tax return".
  • Then why does it still ask the student about all the 1098T information if they are being claimed on their parent's return?
  • This would be my question it still asks my daughter if she received a 1098T form so do we answer y"NO" on my daughter taxes?
  • Be sure that both questions were answered:  can you be claimed by another taxpayer and did that taxpayer  actually claim you.
  • Both questions are answered correctly and it still asks for all the college information.  What now.
  • It asks for your educational information to determine if you received scholarships in excess of your qualified educational expenses.  If you did, then the excess scholarship must be reportable as taxable income on your tax return, not the person claiming you.
  • You still have to enter all the 1098-T info but at the end it will tell the dependent that they are not eligible. I do not know why Turbotax is requiring us to enter the 1098 info when we cannot even deduct it in the first place.
  • Did you read my comment directly above yours that says why?
If I am claimed as a dependant by my parents, But I pay my own tuition and got the college loans in my name, can I still deduct these 2 college expenses?
  • As their dependent ONLY your parents may deduct your education expenses. It doesn't even matter who actually paid them.
    Loans are not an expense unless you are paying them back, and then the interest is deductible.