Do I we have to file our 1098T?

My wife and I both go to college. however, after calculations, we would only get 8 dollars back for credit.

I do not wish to wait 2+ weeks for a couple of 1098T's that amount to 3 hamburgers.

do we have to file our 1098T's or can we take the loss and file now? will it trigger an audit?

Thanks :)
  • My tuition is different than the total amount charged by the school. The school used the grant money to pay for all expenses. Why do I need to pay taxes? I did get a refund and used this to buy books on e-bay and 3 classes during the summer semester.
You do not have to include the 1098-T information as long as doing so would not have created taxable income.  This occurs when scholarships and grants in total exceed your qualified educational expenses.