can i import 2012 w-2 information without having my w-2?

Yes, if it is available from your employer and if you have the employer EIN (employer identification number)

TurboTax uses the EIN you enter to determine whether you can import your W-2. Here's how to get there:

1. Open your return in TurboTax.
    2. Click Federal Taxes (or Personal if using Home & Business) and proceed through the interview until you get to the Let's Start With a Bit of Info From Your W-2 screen.
    3. Enter the Employer Identification Number (EIN) and click Continue.
      • If TurboTax recognizes your employer as a participating W-2 partner, you'll see Great News! We Can Enter Your W-2 For You.
      • If your employer isn't a participating W-2 partner, you'll see a different screen where you can manually enter your W-2. The rest of these steps will not apply.
    4. Enter the requested info, which vary by employer. For example:
      • Your employee benefit account user name and password;
      • Your Social Security number and your employee benefits account PIN;
      • Your Social Security number, EIN, and the info from your W-2's Box 1 and Box d.
      • If you need help finding your credentials, use the payroll provider's contact info provided on the screen.
    5. Enter your credentials and then click the Import My W-2 button at the bottom of the screen.
    • First Turbo Tax Claimed they found my W-2 but I needed to upgrade to Basic and I did.   And now it's not importing.  It's requesting all the information be entered manually.  If I had it, I wouldn't have upgraded.
    • Sorry about that - click back and try again making sure your import credentials are correct - if you continue to have an issue, visit this page to request a downgrade back to the Free edition: https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp
    I entered my social security number, user ID and password and it says my credentials are not correct.  What's wrong?
      Depending on the service provider or employer that has the w-2, you may or may not need your w-2.  The EIN you enter will determine what fields are required to authenticate and import the w-2.  If the information you provide does not match what the service provider or employer has for you, you will be given the option to try again or manually enter the w-2.  Any authentication questions should go to your employer or their service provider.    You should see contact information for them on the authentication screen.