Is it better to file single or head of household?

Head of Household is much better.  However, HoH doesn't mean you are the boss in your home.  It means that you meet a specific set of rules, including:

1.  You are unmarried or considered unmarried.

2.  You paid more than 1/2 the cost of maintain your household.

3.  You have a qualifying person living with you in your home for more than 1/2 the year.  A qualifying person must be related to you and is usually, but not always, a minor child.
    It really isn't a matter of choosing. You file with the status that you can qualify for. If you qualify for HOH, then your standard deduction is higher than it is for Single. But to qualify for HOH you have to meet certain criteria including having a qualifying person.
      I do fulfill all of the requirements for head of household. I pay all of the costs to maintain my household. Also I have a dependent child, and I pay all of his living costs. He has always lived with me and been dependent on me.  I have never been married to his father and his father does not support him. I am unmarried.   Please change my statis to head of household.
      • tuned-in -- We cannot change your status.  You must do so by going back in to your Personal information and going through the Filing Status section.
      SINGLE
        SINGLE
          I WANT TO FILE AS A SINGLE  NOT HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD