Untaxed Bonus from Employer - not on W-2 and no 1099

I received an untaxed bonus from my Full-Time employer. This income was not included on my W-2 and I received no Form 1099. How am I suppose to report this income?
  • Could your employer be issuing you a separate W-2 for this?
  • No. I work for Elliot supply, and the 1099 came from Ford Motor Company, be cause we sale their parts at my work.
  • lilstogie - That's a spiff. It's handled differently. The answers in this thread are about bonuses from an employer, not spiffs. The answers here do not apply to spiffs. If you need to know how to enter a spiff in TurboTax, or you have another question about spiffs, either search the community for questions about spiffs, or post a new separate question of your own.
  • I have the exact same question.  Full time employer issued me a bonus but did not include on W2 or give me a 1099 or MISC forms.....how do I correctly report this?
  • tj9719 - See the first answer below. Scroll down to see the answer.
The bonus should have been included in the wages on your W-2. First make sure you are not going to be getting a Form 1099-MISC. The company has until January 31 to send them out. If you are sure you will not get a 1099-MISC, follow the steps below to report the bonus as additional wages.

If you do get a 1099-MISC the procedure for entering it in TurboTax is a little different, though the result is the same. Add a comment to this thread - do not post a separate new question - and I'll give you the steps for entering the 1099-MISC.
[Update - The steps for entering a 1099-MISC are posted below, at the request of another user.]

Here are the steps for reporting the bonus as wages if you do not get a Form 1099-MISC.

Click the Federal Taxes tab.
Click Wages & Income.
Click Explore on My Own.
On the screen "Your 2012 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
The next screen says "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income." Click the Start or Update button for the first topic, "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099."
The next screen asks "Did you receive any other wages?" Select Yes and click Continue.
The next two screens ask about wages earned as a household employee and sick or disability pay. Just click Continue without entering anything.
The next  page asks "Did you earn any other wages?" Select Yes and click Continue.
The next screen asks the source of the other earned income. Select the first option, "Employee compensation that was not reported on a W-2." Click Continue.
Read the next screen and click Continue.
If you are filing a joint return, you will get a screen asking which one of you the income is for.
On the screen that says "Report Your Wage Income," enter the employer's name and EIN (copy them from your W-2) and enter the amount of the bonus. For the reason code, even though you did not get a Form 1099-MISC, select "H - I received a Form W-2 and a separate Form 1099-Misc, and all the income should have been reported on Form W-2." Click Continue.
Read the next screen and click Done. This returns you to the screen that says "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income." At the bottom of the screen click Continue.

The bonus will be included in the total wages on Form 1040 line 7. On the dotted line to the left of the amount on line 7 there will be a notation "F8919" and the amount. Form 8919 will be included in the return, with reason code H in column (c). Form 8919 will calculate the Social Security and Medicare taxes that your employer should have withheld from the additional payments. The total of these taxes will appear on Form 1040 line 57 and will be included in your total tax liability.
  • I received a 1099-misc for bonus pay. Can you please provide instructions as to how to enter this properly.
     Thanks so much !!
  • susie3mhs - Here are the steps to enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax when you also received a W-2 from the same employer, and the bonus amount is in box 7 of the 1099-MISC.

Click the Federal Taxes tab.
    Click Wages & Income.
    Click Explore on My Own (if asked).
    On the screen "Your 2012 Income Summary," scroll down to the "Other Common Income" section.
    Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
    The next screen asks if you received a Form 1099-MISC, click Yes.
    On the next screen, enter all the information from the 1099-MISC. If you are filing a joint return, be sure to select the correct person at the top. Click Continue.
    The next screen asks the reason that you got the 1099-MISC. Select the last option, "None of the above - show me more options." This will display a list of additional reasons. Select the first other reason: "Your employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2." Click Continue.
    On the next screen, "Filing Form 8919," select the third choice, "You received a Form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC, but all the income reported on this Form 1099-MISC should have been included on Form W-2 from {your employer}." Click Continue.
    On the next screen, "Wages Not on Form W-2," click Continue.
    On the next screen, "Report as Wages," click Continue.
    This will take you to the Form 1099-MISC Summary screen. Click Done.

The additional payment will be included in the total wages on Form 1040 line 7. On the dotted line to the left of the amount on line 7 there will be a notation "F8919" and the amount. Form 8919 will be included in the return, with reason code H in column (c). Form 8919 will calculate the Social Security and Medicare taxes that your employer should have withheld from the additional payments. The total of these taxes will appear on Form 1040 line 57 and will be included in your total tax liability.
  • I have this situation but the amount is in box 3 of the 1099-misc. The money was a bonus from my sole employer. The only options i get are
    "Other reasons for a 1099-MISC payment:
    This was money from a lawsuit settlement.
    Jeremy was in a research study and this was the payment.
    I'm not sure; we simply received this form reporting the money Jeremy got"

I cannot seem to get to the
    Your employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2.

Please let me know what i can do.
    Thanks
  • jeremy_leef_smit - Use the steps in my first long reply above, for someone who did not get a 1099-MISC. On the screen where it asks you the source of the other earned income, there is a note that says not to enter payments for which you will receive a 1099. Just ignore that note. A couple of screens later you will select an option that says you received a 1099-MISC.
  • i followed your steps and now need to remove this... Any ideas on how to remove the extra wages once they've been put in?  I am having NO luck!