Do I claim my car in the federal or state portion of my taxes?

I purchased a new car in 2012 and was wondering if I claim it in my state or federal portion? I dont want to wait to get my return so im going to do my state tax return in a week or so. Where do I claim my car?
    The only thing you can deduct on the purchase of a car on your federal return (unless it was a plug in electric car) is the sales tax you paid on the car. You can deduct that if you itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction and if you deduct state and local sales taxes rather than state income tax.

In some states a portion of the vehicle registration is deductible. It can only be deducted if it is based on the value of the car. TurboTax will show you a list of states during the interview.
    • If i choose to deduct the sales tax on my ca (1061) plus the maximum sales tax deduction from the IRS table (total of the two is 1690) rather than my $659 state income tax on my w2, do I put that number $1690 in box 17 spot in place of the 659 or do i leave that spot 0 and is there another place later on to enter the $1690.?
    • Where is box 17?
    • on the federal page where you enter your w2 info, it says to enter state tax, on my w2 ir was 659$, but i dont want to choose that option, i want to claim my state sales tax instead this year. I was told i can choose either or but not deduct both, so i want to deduct my sales tax because i bought a car. My sales tax on my car was $1061 plus i can also add reg sales tax from other purchass of the IRS form that tells me my maximum decution is 629$, so sales tax total i can dedcue for 1690$, but that is not state withholding, its sales tax, so where do i put that on my taxes? i went through the state reutrn and dont see that option
    • You must go ahead and enter your state tax withheld when you enter your W-2 because that withholding is entered on your state tax return. When you are entering deductions and credits, TurboTax will then have you enter sales tax information including any sales tax paid on a major purchase such as a car. TurboTax will then compare your state income tax deduction with your sales tax deduction to see which is larger and automatically choose the larger deduction.
    • where is that information entered at? i did not see that when doing the state form