TurboTax 2012 will not transfer 2011 return

I used the cd for 2011 and also for 2012. Just loaded 2012. It found the .tax2011 file from last year on my hard drive, but will not transfer it.
It says, "Good news! We found your tax info" and lists the file. When I click on Transfer Return, it says, "The return you have selected is not a compatible 2011 return."

The file extension is correct, TurboTax found the file and prompted me to use it, but is is not compatible? What kind of BS is this? I have a lot of 1099s and W-2s that I don't want to manually enter in.

How do I fix this?
  • What edition of TurboTax did you use in 2011?   Was it Business or Home & Business?
  • I am having this same problem.  I used TurboTax Home & Business in 2011 (and every year for the last 10 years or so)--I've never had this problem.  Help!
  • I am using the same version Deluxe for both years. I am not getting it to even recognize a return is on my computer. It is greyed out when I browse for it. It has the proper file extension. I to have a complicate W2 and need it to import. I have a Mac as well.
  • I am having the same problem transfering my .tax2011 file from TT Home & Business from 2011 to TT Home & Business 2012.  I never had this problem before using Home & Business for my personal taxes, which I have used for many years already.  It appears to be a software glitch at your end.  Will you create a software patch to solve the problem soon?
  • I am also having the same problem. I'm using the same Home and Business version I used last year.  I can still open up last year's tax file when I re-run Turbotax 2011, but I can't get to it to transfer in when I open TurboTax 2012. The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded my operating system from Vista to Windows 7 this past year, between the time I filed 2011 taxes and started using Turbotax 2012. Come on Intuit, what is the problem???? We want to file our taxes!!!!
  • I also have this problem but it shows up in my W-2 information AFTER a data transfer from 2011 data into TT 2012 Delux (wrapper 012.000.0127).  Does not do if I manualy enter all data.  Here is how to duplicate.  
    Start new return.
    Transfer 2011 taxes.
    Fed Taxes
    Wages & I, Continue
    on Fed Wages Information, box 1 - add new income
    same form, box 2 - try and add new income THEN goes into an endless "calculating" in Supporting Details dialog box but the dialog box is not complete.

Happened after the most recent update before todays date  1/22/13.

HELP, HELP...  customer for over 10 years.
  • 1
  • 7777rocky, if you or anyone else has has the time to call & talk to TT Support again, please tell them that ALL OF US are having this problem, and refer them to this Message Board.    
    INTUIT, you are OUT-OF-IT if you cannot solve the problem of importing your own data file to the next year's version!  Do not blame us users; it's a flaw that you created.  It is hard to believe that with all of your software engineers, you have not found or corrected this problem already!   So, get ON WITH IT and solve this basic software glitch already!
  • SAME HERE import 2011 H&B >> 2012 H&B = no go.

UPDATE:
    This worked for me:
    Instead of clicking "Begin" - go to "FILE >>  NEW TAX RETURN"
    It then takes you to the same import page, but now when you select the 2011 return, it completes the import.
    Hope this helps !
  • I am having the same exact problem, spent over an hour today with technical support.  They do not have any answers as to why this is happening, nor are they addressing that a problem even exists!
  • 1
  • Thank You TTax.  The program update which loaded yesterday solved my problem.
  • TT Community, I have good news, I have been able to transfer in .tax2011. I don't know why for sure. It didn't say there was an update or anything.  I did uninstall TT Business 2012 and then did a total cleaning of my computer with Advance System Care FREE version.  I reinstalled TT Bus 2012 and did the following:
    1. After installing, I did not click "Begin", I clicked File/New Tax Form.
    2. I then scrolled down and chose the 1120S return.
    3. I browsed for the .tax2011 file.

Here's what may have happened since I have always been able to see the .tax2011 file to try and transfer it in:
    If you hit Begin or File/New Tax Form and you do not choose the right type of Tax Form (e.g. 1120S) which is the same as the previous year, then the .tax2011 file may not be compatible. If that is the case and I had accidentally chosen the wrong type of form, neither TT Regular Cust Serv or TT Business Cust Serv ever asked me which type of return I filed in 2011 to make sure we were filing the same type for 2012.

I do not know if I hit  Begin if it would have chosen a file for me or not.  The good news is that it did import.
  • JJRO is correct. Leave the begin button out of the equation and you will be able to import as he stated: FILE...NEW TAX RETURN. Once again, Intuit/Turbo Tax has let me down by not solving their own software glitches. Been using the same product for years - you think they might give you some credit that you are selecting the correct file. Apparently they think we are all morons!!!!
  • I am having the same problem, even after the recent update, and even when using File -> New Tax Return.
    "This tax return does not contain any transferrable information. Try choosing a different file to transfer."

Does Intuit CS not read these boards?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how are you guys importing the .tax2011 file differently? When I use File -> New Tax Return, the only option is "Begin", which leads to the "Choose a tax return to transfer..." dialog.

And esuhcs, where do you find the 1120S? I use File -> New Tax Return, and don't see any options after that.

Thanks for your help.
  • Here's what I posted previously to access the 1120s.  

1. Click "Begin", I then clicked File/New Tax Form.
    3. I browsed for the .tax2011 file.
  • I have used TurboTax online for years. When I attempted to continue my 2012 after Oct 15, it was not available. They erased all my work. I purchased TT2012, but now the 2011 data will not transfer. I need it badly.
This worked for me:
Instead of clicking "Begin" - go to "FILE >>  NEW TAX RETURN"
Hope this helps !
  • Thank you JJRO!!  This worked for me!
  • This worked!
    3. I browsed for the .tax2011 file.

• Doesn't work for me. Still no import. Trying Intuit CS. It would be nice if they answered their own forums.
  • Didn't work for me, either...... :(
No answer, just agreement.  I have used TT Business for 3 years.  When I click to browse files to locate my .tax2011 file and then I open that file, I get the same not copatilble error.  Please fix this bug Intuit.
  • I was on the phone with basic customer support, they then transferred me to business customer support.  This is a significant issue so that I can get all my w-2s processed.
  • TurboTax, are you monitoring your boards.  I guess it is time to FB bomb you.
  • I tried to transfer one 2011 return,  it did not transfer and then I couldn't  find in my 2011 returns so I guess I have lost it and will have to renter info.  Does anyone know how to retreve 2011 return?
  • Search for .tax2011 on your harddrive.  It should find it.  The file should not have been deleted.
  • That is not the problem.  I have found my.tax2011 file, and I can open it ,myself. However, the problem that all of us on this message board experience is that Turbo Tax 2012 finds it, but does not recognize it as a Turbo Tax file!!!!  So, we cannot automatically transfer all of the data into the 2012 program.  We request that Intuit fix this software bug ASAP!!!
  • Sorry brubik, I misunderstood your previous post since it was focused on 2011 return.   Absolutely we have an issue importing/transfering to 2012.  Still  no response from Inituit or TT on the bug.  I am surprised they are not monitoring this board and/or Facebook.
  • Most people here at least get the option to try the import. My computer doesn't even find the file and when I do manually, it is greyed out so I can't import it. this is the deluxe version. Can anyone help with this?
  • How would I transfer from my hard drive?
  • nbcferguson, are you trying to Transfer/Import in a previous year of TT to the TT 2012?  if so, what version of TT are you using (e.g. personal, home &business, business, etc.)
  • FYI, TT has responded to my FB posts and I have direct messaged them the link to these posts and screen shots of the error.
  • Must be one of the latest updates - i tried this right after New Year and it worked.  Now that i want to do it officially it doesn't find last year's anymore (seems to be deleted).  It won;t load the 2010 file either.  I need this fixed by tomorrow or i can hire a person to enter all tfhe 1099 information again ... TT home&business.
  • It worked for the e-file option, but not for the PC version.       I even tried uninstalling & deleting the 2012 file & reinstalling w/o the updates: No luck. Will see if HR block can import fm TT. 3 hours wasted!  Come on, TT, at least give us some BS that you are "working on it"! -cj
  • I have recevied the following FB direct message from TT after I shared the link to this forum page and specific screen shots showing the compatibility error.  "Scott, I definitely haven't forgotten about you and I'm checking my resources as we speak. I promise to get back you by the end of the day with more information, good or bad! *Tiffany*"   That was 2:27 pm, and I didn't hear back from her yesterday.  :o(
  • found an answer that worked for me on the bottom of this thread, posted by JJRO.
    3. I browsed for the .tax2011 file.

• Now the .tax2011 file imported data into my 2012 tax file, too.  I didn't do anything differently whatsoever, but just tried it, and it worked!  So I suspect that INTUIT was too embarrassed to admit to the problem , but merely solved it quietly!
I am going to try and import the data from my individual 2011 TurboTax Deluxe return into my 2012 TurboTax Premium Edition .  Do you think I will have the same import problems?  My 2011 Delux was done on Tiger but I am having to rum 2012 on LION.  I will just place the tax2011 file on my desktop.
  • This is the same problem I've had (only my 2011 was done in SL). Yes, I have both TurboTax 2011 and 2012, have tried installing both programs on both Windows and Mac, but the tax2011 file won't open.

Again, it would be nice if Intuit would read and answer their own forums.
If you are trying to do your W-2, 1099 transfer first...don't. 
Transfer in your entire 2012 personal tax return first by "Start a new individual return".
Then just go to the Buisiness secion to work on the 1099 forms.

Check this Solution....and check Volvogirl's screenshot
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1502142-i-get-the-message-the-return-you-selected-is-not-a-compati...
_______________
Start at the bottom to see what the problem/fix was for this user, and then work thru all the other possibilities noted..
    Are you trying to transfer to/from different type of tax return, such as a corporation filiing?
    • You cannot, for example, transfer data from a corporate (Form 1120) return into a partnership (Form 1065) or individual (Form 1040) return.
    • No--this happened to me last year, too.  I would like to not have to go through all that information again!
      3. I browsed for the .tax2011 file.

• I figured it out... IT DOES work, and TurboTax2012 can import the 2011 data...
      TurboTax2012(TT2012) has a *BUG* !

This worked for me on OSX Lion. Just RENAME your tax file from .tax2011, to .tax2012.
      The bug is that TT2012 doesn't recognize last years file name extension as a valid file to import. Oops...

After you rename the file It will import everything just as everyone expects...
      Intuit, should fix this bug.

Good luck everyone.
    • This is not working for me in ML. The .tax2012 file is grayed out, and is not available as an option to import. Could you please elaborate on exactly what steps you're taking to make this work?

Edit:

Ok, the standard import doesn't seem to work, but when I renamed the file, and then used File -> Open Tax Return, it looks like it transferred as expected.

Thanks for your suggestion alexman!