Will it really take 21 days to get refund?

I know the IRS has always said up to 21 days for most tax refunds, but do you really think it will take 21 days this year or do you think they are just saying as always, that it can take up to 21 days?

Also, what day does the IRS make direct deposits?

My personal opinion is that you will be very lucky if you get your refund in 21 days.  The IRS is under a lot of pressure to not give refunds to people who don't deserve them and has put a lot of filters and screening criteria into their processes.  This is going to delay anyone's return that is the least bit strange, such as claiming a large EIC this year after claiming none last year without a change in dependents.  Or multiple claims for refunds from the same address.  Anyway, I'm not a believer that the leopard can change his spots.  And the IRS has made it very clear that people should not plan on receiving their refund in any particular timeframe that they might need for a major purchase.  Just one man's opinion.
I have a roommate and she plans on doing her taxes. But I don't want it delaying my refund, so should I tell her not to use our address for her tax refund?
  • It shouldn't matter, unless a large number of people are filing from the same address.  There were cases reported in the news where over 100 came from the same place, and it was fraud.