This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.
TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

my spouse won't give me their ssn

Long story short, my spouse and i are not legally separated, but are living separately. while filing, it asks me for her social security number, but she refuses to give it to me. is there any way around this?
  • Can you find it from an old tax return, bank records, credit card, mortgage, or something similar?
  • i can not. can i file without entering it?
  • see answer below
  • We married in March 2011, and lived together from August 2011 until November of 2012 when she signed her separate lease. We are both active duty military and both have incomes. She refuses to give me her social and says that she is going to file Single, as opposed to Married- Filing Separately. She has a room mate with no job that she provides for, but has only been in the residence since early Dec. 2012. I signed my own lease at a new place November 17, 2012.
  • Well if she files as Single she will be filing a fraudulent return, & could face penalties & interest from the IRS.  You will have to mail in your return if you cannot get her SSN to put on your return because you cannot efile a Married Filing Separate return without the spouse's SSN.
Perhaps a transcript for a prior return would provide the information.
  • Don't you still need her SSN number to get a joint transcript?
  • her ssn isnt' on any of my old returns.
  • How do you file on your 2011 return?  You should have filed as Married Filing Joint OR Married Filing Separate.
  • We filed married filing separate-- i found her SSN, now based on the guidelines of the IRS on their website, If I file Married filing Separate because of our living arraingements, I will be correct?
  • Yes, Married Filing Separate would be correct for you since she does not want to file as Married Filing Joint.
If you can't get her SSN then you will have to leave that blank & mail in your return.  You cannot efile if you don't have her SSN on your return.  Have you looked on a old tax return.
  • I have heard that if you don't live together on the last day of the year, then you need to file separate. is this true?
  • Not true, if you are still legally married at the end of the year you can still file as Married Filing Joint even if you don't live togerther BUT both spouses must agree.

    Married Filing Joint is usually the best filing status (even if only one spouse has income), you pay less tax, it has the highest standard deduction ($11,900), and all credits you may qualify for are available.  

    Married Filing Separate, you will usually pay more tax on a separate return, the standard deduction is half of what a joint return is, you cannot take all the credits you may qualify for, for ex.  You cannot take the earned income credit or the education credits, and some deductions and credits are reduced at income levels that are half those for a joint return, for ex. Child Tax Credit.

    Community property states.   If you live in Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin and file separately, your income may be considered separate income or community income for income tax purposes. See Publication 555.

    See Married Filing Joint vs. Married Filing Separately
  • she doesn't agree to file married anything. she said she talked to a tax guy and said she needs to file Single because our residence was not the same since Nov. 2012
  • I don't know who she is talking to but if she is still legally married to you she cannot file as Single, from the IRS: Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree. You determine your marital status on the last day of the year.
  • If she's married, she can't file single.  And if she lived with you anytime in the last 6 months of 2012, she can't be considered for head of household status (even with a qualifying dependent).
  • My husband and i are married too but live seperately. But im filing as married but seperately, he doesnt wants to give his ssn what do i do? Please

Similar questions other people found helpful: