TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Can I claim myself as a dependent?

No, you claim yourself as the taxpayer (you get your own exemption - unless someone else can claim you as their dependent).  You are not technically your own dependent. 
  • how do i do this
  • When you file your return, you just indicate that you are not a qualifying dependent of someone else (unless you are), and you automatically get your personal exemption.
where do I claIM myself as the taxpayer
  • You enter you personal info at the beginning of the program and you DON'T  check the box that says you can be claimed by somebody else.
  • It still doesn't give me the standard deduction,,,

If your question is whether you can claim yourself rather than your parent's claiming you: There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim YOU as a dependent, You are not allowed to claim your own exemption. If you have  sufficient income,  you can & should still file taxes, you just don’t get your own $3800 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, you indicate that somebody else can claim you as a dependent.

Somebody else can claim you under the following two sets of  rules:

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child (QC)” dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support

3. He lived with the parent (or was away at school) for more than half the year

A person can still be an other dependent (Qualifying relative in IRS parlance, even though they do not have to be actually related), if not a Qualifying Child (QC), if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with you ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $3,800 (2012)

3. You must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or file a tax return claiming someone else as a dependent

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

• I understand that, I am checking to see if I claimed myself when I prepared my tax return for 2012
  • i dont claim myself thru out the year so i should be able to claim myself on my taxes
I'm full time employee but at night I go to school can I claim my self as a student

Similar questions other people found helpful: