Can I deduct the difference in mileage between what my company paid and the 55.5 federal rate?

I get a monthly allowance and a small per mile reimbursement which is all pre tax but is still less than the 55.5 rate.
  • I am a  volunteer and am reimbursed for the miles driven, but at less than the 55.5 rate, can I deduct the difference in mileage. I do not receive a paycheck.
Yes, you can.  Are you an employee with a W-2 or an Independent Contractor receiving a 1099MISC form?

If you are an employee it goes on form 2106 as an Unreimbursed Employee Expense. 
In Turbo Tax go to the Federal Taxes tab
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Explore On My Own
  • scroll down to Employment Expenses
  • then, Job-Related Expenses
  • Thank you, it was very helpful.
  • while the path is correct, i cannot find where to enter the difference. I can enter the milage and it gives me a total deduction but i cannot enter what i was rembersed.
  • racerx142 - skip the mileage section in that area and continue on past the Any Other Expenses screen and you should come to a screen where you can list items yourself.  You can enter the difference there.  Just put the description and the correct amount.  Hope that helps.
  • I am not an employee. This does not address that fact
  • lornagoodwin -  Do you volunteer for a charitable organization or a business?  Where and how do claim the difference, if you are able to claim it, depends on who you do volunteer work for.

These are the rates:
        55.5 cents per mile for business miles driven
        23 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
        14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations