Why is the first time home buyer credit no longer available for 2012?

I bought my house in 2008 and I should still have to pay this for several more years. And per IRS I do not have to file the Form 5405. Is turbo tax not offering to work this credit any longer?
Yes you must still repay the 2008 first time home buyer credit until you have totally repaid it. If you don't see the form yet, it may be because the form hasn't been finalized.
    There is no first time homebuyer credit in 2011, 2012 or subsequent years.  The legislation only applied to home purchased between certain dates in 2008 - 2010.  An exception in 2011 applied to military returning from deployment and certain federal foreign service and intelligence community employees.

    (It's not Turbotax.  "Why" is a question you would need to ask your Congressman.)
    • I think he was asking about paying it back.

      If you used Turbo Tax last year it may have already transferred over. To enter the $500 payment for the 2008 $7,500 First Time Homebuyer's Credit interest free loan go to:
      Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (for H&B version)
      Deductions and Credits
      Continue past the IRA Contribution screen
      Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
      Your Home
      Homebuyer Credit - Click the Start or Update button

      The repayment shows up on the 1040 line 59b. I think you don't have to include form 5405 for a repayment.

        Turbo tax software is telling me this: The first time home buyer credit it is not available for 2012.
        I have reworked it 7 times and even upgraded to the next level of turbo tax and it is not deducting it. It says this like on the second question that it is not available for 2012. But it still has me enter in the year I bought the house. And there was that first year that they were waiting on the from I think 2010 and it took like 3 months for me to get my refund. But it is not saying its waiting on the form. I hope I don't have to go to another tax software program because turbo isn't offering it.
        I just checked on my tax return for 2011 and I didn't see the FORM 5405 filed so while I am freaking out I hit on this http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5405.pdf and it says if you bought the house in 2008 and still live there in 2011 the 5405 is not needed. The amount is entered on 59b for the 1040. Sure enough there it is. But once again, turbo tax is telling me the "CREDIT" is not available for 2012, not that the form is not. I don't need to file form 5405 it will be entered on 59b of my 1040.
          Contribute an answer

          People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

          1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
          2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
          3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
          4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
          5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.