Is the e-file refund cycle available for 2013?

• efile 2013
  • As indicated below, the IRS will start accepting e-files on Jan 22.
  • Where are you getting your info ?
  • "Production at Startup on January 22, 2013"
    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Modernized-e-File-(MeF)-Status-Page
    It has also been all over the news. In fact, the IRS announced today that they are looking at the tax bill that was passed last night by Congress, and will announcing shortly if there will be any change in the filing date.
  • i just read on turbo tax that they will be excepting them on the 13th of jan
  • Where on Turbotax? What EXACTLY did you read?
  • Thank you SweetieJean for the info !
  • If you're looking at this, it says Jan 3 (not 13) but only for forms that have been finalized. The various 1040 forms aren't final yet.
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/?tmSrc=qs&type=999&pf=o
  • My forms will be ready on the 10th , do i have to wait to e-file or will intuit send it in after i submit them ?
  • They will be submitted after the IRS opens e-file on Jan 22.  However, you must wait until you have all of W-2's, 1099's etc. since you cannot get your return back once you submit it to TT.
  • http://www.crosslinktax.com/support/tax_updates/IRS-Delays-Start-of-the-2013-Tax-Season.asp

The following IRS press release was just sent out today.
    IRS Plans Jan. 30 Tax Season Opening For 1040 Filers
    WASHINGTON — Following the January tax law changes made by Congress under the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), the Internal Revenue Service announced today it plans to open the 2013 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 30.
    The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on that date after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. This will reflect the bulk of the late tax law changes enacted Jan. 2. The announcement means that the vast majority of tax filers -- more than 120 million households -- should be able to start filing tax returns starting
    Jan 30.
    The IRS estimates that remaining households will be able to start filing in late February or into March because of the need for more extensive form and processing systems changes. This group includes people claiming residential energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits. Most of those in this group file more complex tax returns and typically file closer to the April 15 deadline or obtain an extension.
    “We have worked hard to open tax season as soon as possible,” IRS Acting Commissioner Steven T. Miller said. “This date ensures we have the time we need to update and test our processing systems.”
    The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit.
    “The best option for taxpayers is to file electronically,” Miller said.
    The opening of the filing season follows passage by Congress of an extensive set of tax changes in ATRA on Jan. 1, 2013, with many affecting tax returns for 2012. While the IRS worked to anticipate the late tax law changes as much as possible, the final law required that the IRS update forms and instructions as well as make critical processing system adjustments before it can begin accepting tax returns.
    The IRS originally planned to open electronic filing this year on Jan. 22; more than 80 percent of taxpayers filed electronically last year.
    Who Can File Starting Jan. 30?
    The IRS anticipates that the vast majority of all taxpayers can file starting Jan. 30, regardless of whether they file electronically or on paper. The IRS will be able to accept tax returns affected by the late Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) patch as well as the three major “extender” provisions for people claiming the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction.
    Who Can’t File Until Later?
    There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.
    The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.
    As part of this effort, the IRS will be working closely with the tax software industry and tax professional community to minimize delays and ensure as smooth a tax season as possible under the circumstances.
    Updated information will be posted on IRS.gov.

Also, I just submitted my return (1/10/13)and my e-mail from turbo tax says:

Your Returns Have Been Sent
    What this means:
    Your returns were successfully transmitted. Please remember that the IRS does not begin processing returns until January 30, 2013. Since you e-filed before this date, the earliest you should expect to hear from the IRS and most states is January 30.

Next step: Keep watching your email.
    We'll send you another message when your return(s) are accepted or rejected.
  • Even if you transmitted to Turbo Tax, you still need to wait for the IRS to accept/reject your return, which will be after the 30th of January. I predict a crash in the system or major delays due to all the stock piling of returns waiting to be process. Wonder why no Refund cycle chart this year? because the IRS anticipates delays with direct deposits worse than last year.
  • I just received an email from TurboTax today stating that the IRS accepted my return today, 01/24/2013 and that they will start processing the returns 01/30/2013.
  • Alaina4208: That is true, as I've received the same info. This is in an effort to ease the stockpiling of tax returns. However, with the start of tax season being pushed so far back refund delays are inevitable.
  • My Federal Refund was Accepted Today 1/24/2013 It says My Refund wont be Issued until After Jan 31st but they also said No returns would be Accepted until the 30th so I will Expect My Refund Within a week
  • My federal tax return was accepted today as well. So now I wait until Jan 1 and check where is my refund.
  • I'm not sure how the Where's My Refund timing works with these returns accepted during assurance testing. Normally, you're suppose to wait 72 hours after acceptance before you can expect to find info on there. Since returns aren't supposed to be processed until the 30th, I suspect you wouldn't see anything on Where's My Refund until maybe Feb 2nd. Doesn't hurt to check earlier though.
  • Yea, I meant Feb. 48 hours after the 30th would be the 1st. That's when the "where's my refund option opens on the IRS website.
  • Why did I have to go to H&R block to get this little bit of information that explains why my return was accepted despite the IRS not really starting until the 30th? As part of controlled IRS testing, a small number of federal returns will be transmitted to the IRS between January 23 and January 29, 2013. This is before processing officially begins on January 30. If you receive an acknowledgement during this time frame, your return has been accepted by the IRS but your refund will not be processed early.

If you expect a federal refund, the IRS Where's My Refund? tool will provide personalized information about your tax return beginning January 30. The time frame for issuing refunds will not begin before this date.

The IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days.
  • I filed mine on Jan 13. I got same message. BUT now I got an email AND a text stating " Great News!! Your federal return was accepted early by the IRS. ". Sooo late lastnight I downloaded the android app for TT (My Tax Refund) AND It says IRS accepted my return and I have a projected DD date of before Feb 14th.
  • Mine said the same thing that it was accepted today except that the state is still pending what does this mean and how will i know when i will get refund if they dont process until the 30th. I am confused
  • No but apparently with the newer MeF system that is because most are issued within 5 days of acceptance at least when they start fully
  • Returns were starting to be excepted on the 24th for sure. I know of at least 4 people that has been earlier than expected...
The IRS isn't printing a refund cycle chart this year.  While they haven't announced a specific date to accept returns, it usually is in mid-January.  This year it is likely to be after January 22. However, due to budgetary issues such as the "fiscal cliff" that may result in some year end tax legislation, filing returns with some forms (such as Schedule A) may be delayed even later than that time period.

After e-filing, the IRS is no longer publishing a refund chart.  Instead, they are only saying that most refunds are paid within 21 days after filing. See http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/What-to-Expect-for-Refunds-in-2013

This article provides some background information on that issue:  http://taxes.about.com/b/2012/11/20/possible-delay-to-filing-season-due-to-late-passing-legislation-.... (See the part entitled "Possible Delay to Filing Season Due to Late-Passing Legislation, IRS Warns" part way down the page.

Turbotax will let you file your return early, but it's not a true filing.  Rather, they will keep your return on their servers until the IRS begins the e-filing program.  A large disadvantage to doing that is if you transmit early to put the return in Turbotax's holding server, you can't get it back.  There were many posts last year similar to "I e-filed but found another W-2, deduction, credit, etc.) where an amended return became necessary after the original return was finally transmitted to the IRS.

• I also filed TT also I got a accepted response the same day I put it in on 01/30/2013 and it was saying processing now yesterday went to efile.com  website  put in accepted  date and it gave me a DD for 02/06/2013 nothing...so far this morning..( cked refund website now it's saying We cannot provide any information about your refund. You must wait at least 24 hours after you get the acknowledgement e-mail that your tax return was received by the IRS
    wht's tht about??
None of this answers the original question.

The IRS will no longer be putting out that calendar; instead they are saying expect your money within 21 days.
  • The question was answered by bwa (the first answer above) 9 days ago.
  • Okey dokey.
    (for some reason, I didn't see that and jumped the gun.)
  • Can't blame anyone for missing the answer. This new Community format makes it tough to follow chronologically.
  • And you need to EXPAND the comments to see them all.  They get collapsed.
There will not be a cycle this year. Just announced on the IRS website, e-file and paper returns won't be accepted until Jan. 30 for some filers depending on the forms some filers use.
      Well, that's great! lol  I would like to have a little more information about when I would be receiving my refund versus having to just hope I get it within 21 days after I file.
      • Considering that their are about 138 million taxpayers in the US, if "most" get their refund within 21 days, that leaves many millions that don't (depending on what the definition of "most" is).
      • Also keep in mind that Congress is still considering tax law changes that would require the IRS to reprogram its computers.