Can I write off the sales tax on a new car purchased in 2012?

No. The sales tax provision expired at the end of 2011, and has not (yet) been renewed by Congress.

The Sales Tax Deduction expired at the end of 2011, unless Congress extends the sales tax deduction for tax year 2012 you cannot deduct the sales tax paid on a vehicle.

• So do we know if congress extended this yet???
    • The Senate put it in (Sec. 205. Extension of deduction of State and local general sales taxes), we are still waiting on the Congress.
      http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/01/01/american.taxpayer.relief.act.pdf
    • If they do extend this deduction, where would this information be entered?  I am using Home & Business Edition.  Thanks!
    • For Home & Business version:
      - Personal Tab  (other versions Federal Taxes tab)
      - Deductions & Credits
      - Explore on My Own
      - Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
      - Sales Tax - click on Start or Update
      - Follow the interview to either do Add My Receipts or Let’s Do Common Method (usually the best method)
      - On the Tell Us Where You Lived, enter or select State and the dates you lived there, next screen enter your Sales Tax Rate
      - Then you will be asked if you bought any Major Items, click on Yes, you can then enter the sales tax information for purchasing a car, boat etc.
    • I have the deluxe version. When I click on "update" it takes me to the summary page and won't let me change the sales tax information.  Is there an update coming that will allow that?  If so, when so.  Also is there any way to actually contact someone at Turbo Tax via phone, text or email to get a response?
    • Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    can I  write off the tax on a new car purchased in 2012
      Nate:
      There is no special Federal credit for a new home.  If you itemize, you can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes paid.