When/How do I amend my 2011 federal tax return?

Should I wait to receive my 2011 Federal Refund before I file my amended return for income I neglected to report?  Only $3,000 in unreported income, receiving a $1,000 refund?  I have not yet rec'd anything from Federal Govt saying they rec'd my efiled 2011 return (emailed 2 weeks ago)

Answer

35 people found this helpful

Yes you should wait to make sure the refund amount didn't get changed by the IRS. Since your return was accepted by the IRS, you must prepare and file an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return.                                        

To begin the amended return, click on Tools then Topic Search. Type amend a return in the search box and click on the same words in the drop down box. Click Go.The amended return must be printed and mailed to the IRS. If you owe additional taxes, you must pay them with your amended return. You can see an article on how to amend a return at this link: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-Return/GEN12781.html
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original d5efadcf497ea7b3d86c6f8d148d66633a29ce78fa8391af628adf32d9989354
SuperUser
3 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community