TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

When/How do I amend my 2011 federal tax return?

Should I wait to receive my 2011 Federal Refund before I file my amended return for income I neglected to report?  Only $3,000 in unreported income, receiving a $1,000 refund?  I have not yet rec'd anything from Federal Govt saying they rec'd my efiled 2011 return (emailed 2 weeks ago)
  • But if you do need to amend your Federal return but nothing changes on your state return, do you need to amend the state? Or only the Federal since that is the one that changed.
Yes you should wait to make sure the refund amount didn't get changed by the IRS. Since your return was accepted by the IRS, you must prepare and file an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return.                                        

To begin the amended return, click on Tools then Topic Search. Type amend a return in the search box and click on the same words in the drop down box. Click Go.The amended return must be printed and mailed to the IRS. If you owe additional taxes, you must pay them with your amended return. You can see an article on how to amend a return at this link: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-Return/GEN12781.html
  • My tax return was e-filed without my approval!
  • I need to change my payment arrangement. I filled the form authorizing a full balance payment on 4/11 from my checking account. I contacted IRS and they havent procesed my tax form yet. Can TurboTax help me to change the payment arrangement? I would like to pay monthly.
If you have mailed a federal return, you should not resubmit a rejected efiled return.
  • I for got to put in one of my 1099-R for 2011  when I send off my tax's what do I do now
If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can correct the problem and fix the reason for rejection and re-efile your return. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must prepare and file an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount.                                        

• INSTRUCTIONS FOR PC/WINDOWS
    If you filed using TurboTax Desktop/CD/Download version:
    Open your return.
    Under the Federal Taxes tab, select Other Tax Situations, then Amend a Return.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAC
    Open your return.
    Under the Personal Taxes tab, select Other Tax Situations, then Amend a Return.

(TurboTax left the Mac instructions off the help page)
Once your tax return is submitted and accepted by the IRS, there is nothing TurboTax can do to change it. You would have to change the payment arrangements with the IRS. If it is rejected, you can make the changes.
  • Why do I have trouble getting my income tax?
  • I had sent my federal tax by mail,then was notified that i could claim eic and sent me a paper to sign to claim it. I signed it and mailed it off. Then I decided that to make sure my returns were done right,I paid turbo tax to do it.I logged into my acct. and it states that my taxes were rejected.Is it because I first mailed my return then efiled? I didn't mail my state,only my federal.How do I fix this?

Similar questions other people found helpful: