This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

I donated my kitchen cabinets and countertops before having new ones installed - how do I figure out the value?

The man who took the old ones out said the general rule is 30% of the replacement cost.  30% of the cost of the new ones comes to just under $5000.  Seems high - Does this sound like the right way to figure out the value of the donation?  TT asked me for the "purchase price" (of the donated items) but I don't know that - they came with the house.  Should I put in the purchase price of the new ones?  Should I use "Replacement cost-new" as my method of determining the value?
    The fair market value is what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller in an open sale.  There is no general rule of thumb for used items, but if the man who took them was a contractor or had experience with similar donations, he might be right.  Or, look on Craigslist or Ebay.  You can estimate the cost of new cabinets by looking at a home improvement store.