This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

how do I open TaxReturn.tax2011?

What software opens Taxreturn.tax2011 so that can be printed?
    To Zakarah:  I know your post is old and you probably won't see this but I wanted to answer it for anyone else.

Yes you can transfer the prior year online return into the 2011 Desktop program.  It can read and open the .tax2011 file.  If you actually have a .tax2011 file you just OPEN it.  You don't transfer it.

TRANSFER 2010 ONLINE TO 2011 DESKTOP:
    You need to have the .tax2010 file downloaded and saved on your computer to transfer into 2011 Desktop program.

For returns done online, (this is for the Free Edition but should work for all versions) you might be able to get the .tax2010 file and save it to your computer.  See this link…
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Copy-of-Return/Access-2010-or-Earlier-Free-Edition-Returns/HOW13547.html?_requestid=165155

If you can't get or didn't save the .tax2010 file to your computer before online was shut down Oct 20, 2011 or lost it,  there is a way to do it by starting your return in the 2011 online version, transfer into that and then you can switch and continue in the desktop version and you won't have to pay for online.  See this…
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Transfer-Info/Continue-an-Online-Return-in-TurboTax-Desktop-Software/GEN12160.html  

Then you should be able to save the .tax2011 file to you computer without paying for it in the online version. Then just OPEN it in your desktop program to continue. Don't transfer or import it!
    • what file association is the .tax2011 file
    • You can only open a .tax2011 file with the 2011 Turbo Tax program.  You need to have the 2011 program installed on your computer and updated to the latest release and download any state you used.
    • Again, the .tax2011 file disappeared entirely from my entire computer without any assistance from me.  All relevant PDF files were where they should be, but no .tax2011.
    You can open your filed return and change it, view it or do anything with it.  There is only 1 data file,  the .tax2011 file.  In the Desktop program you can have unlimited files.  Maybe you didn't save the filed one or can't find it.  Search your hard drive for all files ending in .tax or .tax2011.

If you are using the desktop program you should have both the pdf AND the .tax2011 files.  In fact to amend it you need to use the .tax2011 file (the original one that you efiled).

You shouldn't change anything after you mail or efile until you start the amended return process.  Also you have to wait until you get your first refund or your tax due payment has cleared your bank.

Read this on how to amend a 2011 return….
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-2011-Tax-Return/GEN83887.html  

The amended return is form 1040X and can only be mailed (not efiled) and will take 8-12 weeks or more to process.  And they only send checks for amended returns, no direct deposit.  You should also wait to amend your return until you get your original refund or your payment has cleared because the IRS might adjust your original return.

When you go through the amendment section it asks you how much you paid or got back on the original return so be sure to enter it. Then the amended return will only show the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 17 should be your original refund amount and line 20 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 15.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 19.

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
    Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
    Other Tax Situations
    last section, Other Tax Forms
    Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button
    • Again, the .tax2011 file disappeared entirely from my computer without any assistance from me.  All relevant PDF files were where they should be, but no .tax2011.
    The 2011 desktop version opens a .tax2011.  If you filed your return Online you can print it, you would need to sign in with the same UserID you used to prepare your return, See the following
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Print-and-Save/Print-a-Copy-of-Your-Tax-Return-for-Your-Records/GEN12318.html
    • By mistake I purchased Turbo Tax Desktop Premier instead of Turbo Tax online which I have used the last 3 years and the Desktop sucks you canmt read .tax2011..it does not transfer last years taxes and you cannot get any support or help nothing works right I would recommed turbo tax to everyone till this year very poor support was not told there are different tubo taxes that dont communicate with each other its been a pain.
    • By mistake I purchased Turbo Tax Desktop Premier instead of Turbo Tax online which I have used the last 3 years and the Desktop sucks it cannot read .tax2011..it does not transfer last years taxes and you cannot get any support or help nothing works right I would recommed turbo tax to everyone till this year very poor support was not told there are different turbo taxes that don't communicate with each other its been a pain.
    • It would seem that TurboTax Deluxe 2011 gets rid of its interim working files once you e-file; so, if you're in need of reviewing any of the interim steps taken to produce the final return, you're out of luck.  I don't understand why TT doesn't allow you to reopen a submitted return.  Are they working in CYA mode?  Worst part of it is that you can't even amend the submitted form.  All you have left are the PDF files.  The "Amend Return" button comes up with the message "No Files Found.)  I'm certain this will be the last time I purchase any Intuit software, that includes Quicken and Quick Books.