I filled out Form 6251 last year but not 8801, is that unusual? Turbotax is asking for an amount from Form 8801.

Last year we paid the AMT tax for the first time.  We filed using Turbotax and filed Form 6251 with our return.  We did not file Form 8801.  Turbotax is asking for an amount from this form.  Does this mean we do not qualify for the AMT Credit?
    Try putting in 0 for the 2010 Form 8801 question.

For the Prior Year AMT Credit:

Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax

In Turbo Tax, select Tools in the upper right corner of your screen. Select Topic Search and input "prior year amt credit". Here. Turbo Tax will guide you through.

Here's a link to the Form 8801 instructions:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8801.pdf

I hope this helps!
    • Something is wrong with the TurboTax approach to this. It should explicitly tell you what to do. If putting "0" is the answer, then the question should read "if you didn't complete form 8801, then enter "0". Or "go spend some time on the IRS site and figure it out yourself"
    • No, this does not help. This makes no sense. Your link is for 2011 form 8801. It is asking us for data from a 2010 form that Turbtox DID NOT EVEN FILL  OUT!
    • If I used Turbotax for 2010 (which I did) it should just autopopulate this instead of making me go searching
    • Thanks for not helping with an answer.  No time to figure out what form 8801 is, that is why I pay TurboTax to do my return.
    • I am wasting a lot of time with this 2010 Form 8801 which I did not fill out last year (at least I can not find it on e-file). Trying to fill out one is a pain. I find this a shortcoming in Turbo Tax program!
    • Why has Turbo Tax not answered this question???  The previous input is "spot on."  If 8801 was filled out last year (on TT), then whey does it not populate, as does the 2010 Form 6251 question???  We pay TT to do such things and this is insulting to refer to a form which is not easily available.  Please find an expert to address this question...
    I agree with all of you! If Turbo Tax is not going to have the correct or useful answer to a question, then they need to refer their clients to H&R Block! This is stressful!