This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

9001 error code on the IRS WMR?

When I go online to check status i get an error message with a reference code 9001.  Has anyone received this code if so what does it mean.  

Thank you
    I am an ETech (Electronic Technician) for the Internal Revenue Service.  Code 9001 (in fact any 9000 series code) pertains to any system updates we perform.  It does not mean you have been chosen to be audited, nor does it mean you have been selected for manual review.  The only you can know if you have been audited is by certified USPS.  The only way you can know you have been selected for manual review is to call and speak to a representative.  Keep in mind that tens of thousands of people call daily. Some of them multiple times; in case you didn't know, when you call your number is saved into our system as a point of reference (so we know when you last called and what you spoke to a representative about at that time).  Also keep in mind that due to call volumes a lot of reps do not reference that info.  *** We update our  computer systems from 8pm on Friday(s) until 8am Monday(s).  Your best time to call the AUTOMATED line is after business hours on Monday and Tuesday.  The IRS does send out Direct Deposits on a daily basis, HOWEVER - with the system crash we had DD's are being bundled.  Most if not all DD's will be sent out Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of the week. Hope this helps.
    • Thank you very much joerich2011!  I know a few people that have gotten that error code and it is freaking us out!  I guess the best thing to do is to be patient and wait!
    • Thank you joerich2011! I have also gotten that error code and it is makes me feel a little uneasy!

Would you suggest we still call to show we are being proactive, or should we be patient, and if so how patient should we be, at would point should we start to worry?

Thank you
    • Thank you joerich2011. I feel better now. I do not mind being patient at all. It just scared me to see all these issues pertaining to my refunds. I have never experienced these thing before. I am my refund will be here before the 14th. Thank you so much again.
    • thanks i have been worries all day,,I have never had a problem filing my taxes..this 9001 is crazy..its all on face book to
    • I am having the issue if anyone has anything change post it please!
    • I've been keeping an eye on a facebook topic about the tax return delays. The consensus there is that it seems like the vast majority of people getting the 9001 error code originally had refund dates of 02/14 before it changed. I never had an estimated deposit date though. I waited 72 hours before checking and at first there was no information at all, then the second time I checked I had the 9001 code. I certainly do hope it's just a system updating glitch...
    • I also get the error code 9001.. I was suppose to receive my refund by 2/14 also but it was still processing.. Wonder whats going on..
    • My husband and I e-filed federal and state with TTax on 1/31. Federal was accepted about 30 minutes after it was received. I waited 72 hours to check "WMR" but his SSN is primary and we have had nothing come up at all until yesterday we got the code 9001 please call us. I have no idea what this means. I have never called the automated line. Does it give any further information than the website? According to the IRS refund schedule we thought we'd have a direct deposit on 2/8/12. Are these now being delayed due to this 9001 code? Does anyone know? Thanks!!!
    • So, the 9001 is just saying that the refunds may be delayed? I had an DD for 2/14 as well so I'm glad I'm not the only one...
    • My said the same and I looked back over my return. The last number in my state employer tin had been omitted when I copied and pasted it from the w2 website...I hope it's not a long process to correct this....
    • Guys this has been eating at me all day the 9001 thing..I had an expected date of 2-14 from wmr but it was changed to 2-8...i woke up this morning and I recived the 9001 code as well..I have been following this problem all day even on facebook..many people has gotten this code..I pray its a error Ive never had problems with my taxes..Good Luck all.
    • interesting comments, I used turbo, and mine was sched for 2/1 deposit, then got delay of one week posted sunday, deposit sched for 2/8.  my daughters was efiled with etax, sched for 2/14, but deposit was done and deposit was done on 2/1.  same with other daughter, sched to deposit on 2/14, but deposit was in account on 2/5.
    • I too filed on 1/31.....I waited for 72 hours, and typed my husband's ss number in WMR. It gave me the DD date of 2/14.  I went to check it again on Saturday and the whole IRS system was down online.  I kept getting Proxy errors.  I was able to sign on today, got the 9001 reference code. I called the where's my refund hotline, and it states I need to call during business hours because they can't give me any info.  Well, I was curious and typed my ss number into WMR website.  It states my refund will be deposited 2/14. I called the 800 WMR hotline again, and put my info in instead of husband, and again I get the automated "Your refund has been received and your DD should be deposited by 2/14".  Soooooo I am so confused.  I will call tomorrow and talk to a live person and see what's going on.  It definitely sounds like a glitch though since the system was crashed yesterday.
    I received this message yesterday as well. I've been doing a little bit of research over the past few hours and from what I can tell, it means either one of two things. One particularly troublesome.

1. The IRS system is overloaded with refunds and some refunds have been delayed one week to allow for extra processing time.
    2. There were errors or inconsistencies found on the return and it has been flagged by the system for manual review.

I filed 01/31/2012 via TurboTax and was accepted the same day. I filed single with no dependents. I don't own a home and aside from some small educational expenses for grad school, my return is very cut and dry.
    It seems that either scenario still means a delayed refund. I'll come back and update if I get any further information
    • i received this message as well ...... any ideas on it
    • MINES AS WELL CAN ALL KEEP UPDATING IF ANYTHING IS FOUND OUT .
    • I received that code today too. Have you called the IRS number. I did and it said they are having technical difficulties. After having a DD of 2/14. I filed on 1/31. If anybody finds out anything please let me know.
    • when i called this morning it gave a message the same thing 9001 status
    • I am getting the same error code
    • Last night mine said my return was being processed and I should expect my refund by February 14, 2012 if there were no problems. Today it says;
      Refund Status Results

We are sorry, we cannot provide any information about your refund. For more information, please continue.
      Please read the following information related to your tax situation:

Tax Topic 152, Refund Information

If you have questions or need additional information, please have the following on hand when you call:

A copy of this page.
          A copy of your tax return.
          The Social Security Number, Filing Status, and refund amount claimed on your return.
          The date you mailed your return.

Please mention reference number 9001 to the IRS Customer Service Representative.

Now crazier yet, me and my husband filed jointly. When I put my SS # I get this;

Refund Status Results

We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless there is a processing delay or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by February 14, 2012.

Tax Topic 152, Refund Information

How crazy is this? Which one is accurate? Don't think we have any offsets and the system is on overload and can't take my call. So we just hurry up and wait, right?
    • I too have the same reference code online and when I call the automated number it says to ask for extension 462, mines pretty cut and dry also so I am hoping it's just backed up and not a problem. What number is everyone calling?
    • @pdnorman---i am geting the exact same thing!  My husband and i file jointly. His SS# is primary and i get the 9001 ref code when i check using his SS#.  If I use my SS# i still get "processing, blah, blah, blah...refund by the 14th". What in the world is going on?!?!?
    • I was showing 2/14 refund date as well and when i check this morning i received the same error...
    • Think it might be a system glitch since its happening to so many of us? As of yesterday my said "is being processed & should received by 2/14". If I recall right, doesn't irs system only update on certain days during the week & not on weekends?
    • Actually, the IRS systems do update on weekends because mine updated last Sunday with a deposit date(I got it on the 1st) but my wife's just came up with the 9001 reference code. I do think its a glitch as well....just a question of how long it will stay that way!!
    • I think it is a glitch in the system. Because yesterday my dd was 2/14. i emailed sbbt and this is what I was told.And this is the response..

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM, TPGINQUIRY01 <tpginquiry01@sbtpg.com> wrote:

***02.08.2012 is the expected date not gauranteed...with your account it shows 02.15.2012 as the day to get your refund

We have not received your IRS refund yet.  Please log on to our website at www.sbtpg.com to find out the expected funding date of your IRS refund and expected refund amount.  If you provided us with your email address when you applied for your bank product you will automatically be notified by email when we receive your IRS refund.  If it is past the expected funding date you can also check on the status of your refund by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1954 or logging on to the IRS website at www.irs.gov.

Thank you,
      Customer Service Representative
      Tax Products Group, LLC
      Servicer for University National Bank
    Oh my gosh!  Same problem here!!  We filed on 1/28 and hubby is primary and have been using his SSN to check status, all the way until last night.  Checked this morning to see if there were any delays (since I have heard of soo many) and I got the 9001 error code. I tried calling the automated 800 # and when I enter his SSN and the other info I get a message that says, "Our office is now closed, please call back during normal business hours."  When I use my SSN... no problems, "We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless there is a processing delay or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by February 14, 2012."

What the heck is going on??  Please, everyone, lets be sure to keep updating this form as we are all in the same boat!  Good luck everyone!
    • The website is down as well as the phones so there must be a problem, fingers crossed! :)
    • I have the same message....checked last night it said i should receive my refund by 2/14...checked back this morning have that 9001 error code...what is goin on
    I was able to log into system after it was down for a few hours and we still show error code 9001.  A lady on a facebook says that code means selected for review!  She said she used to do taxes.  Here's what she said,

"If you checked last night but got the 9001 code this morning, it's because they updated wmr @ midnight last nite and today is the current/new info-even though you guys filed a joint return, it's possible that your husband got chosen for you review(that's gen. what a 9001 error code means) and you did not-they pull a certain % of batches for automatic and specific review and they do it by SSN(which is why if you have a joint return one of you could be selected, but NOT the other)...I call this an IRS loophole since it allows them to with hold ALL of your refund until the review is completed if they so choose- they usually don't do this though if you filed a joint return and only one of you was selected for review; they will usually refund the amount that isn't under review (i.e. your part of the joint refund) until his SSN is cleared and then they have 3 weeks to send you the rest (or if there's an offset) of your refund-it's not common knowledge but they can split your refund anyway they want and can give different amounts at different times-it's just that most taxpayers received theirs in one lump some! if you filed on or before 1/26 you can also expect a delay due to new implemented irs safeguards installed to prevent the fraud."

I am not sure if that is right or not!
    • Well I do not know why I have to be under a review. This is my first time using turbo tax. I have never had any problems before. I used ez return for a long time and never experienced any problems.

This update was put under turbo tax support 2/3/2012

Print When will I get my tax refund?
      Updated: 2/03/2012Article ID: GEN12488
      IRS Refund Processing Delays
      The IRS is currently experiencing tax refund processing delays (up to one week) for some returns. This affects returns prepared through any tax preparation method, including TurboTax.

As a result, the original estimated federal tax refund date provided to you may have changed. We are working with IRS to resolve this as quickly as possible.

For the most up-to-date information about your federal tax refund, go to the IRS Get Refund Status tool. Make sure you wait 72 hours after your return is accepted to check your refund status. How to find out if your return was accepted.

Note: State tax refunds are not affected by the IRS delay.

January 26, 2012 – The IRS has provided an update to the tax preparation industry on the status of federal tax refunds. Click here to read the update.