Can I deduct mortgage refinance origination fees?

I refinanced primary residence in 2010.  Lender charged me $1405 in origination fees (this amount does not include any other taxes, lawyers, title fees etc. - overall settlement charges were $3325).  I wrote a check to bank for $1021.00.  Can I deduct the $1021.00
    You can deduct the following on a refinance:

Real estate taxes, mortgage interest (which would include daily interest charges as well as points), and mortgage insurance premium you pay are tax deductible items on your closing statement.

For a refinance, you should deduct the points (also known as loan origination fee) over the life of the loan unless the loan is used to substantially improve your residence

The following items on your closing statement increase the cost basis of your home but are not deductible.

Attorney fees in connection with obtaining property
    Commissions
    State stamp taxes and transfer taxes
    Tax service fees
    Title policy fees or title insurance
    Miscellaneous abstracts of title, surveys, recording of deed   

Keep the closing statement for your records as the above will benefit you when you sell your property.
    • I guess I'm still confused.. I have a similar problem. My settlement statement for the refinance of my only home says:
      800 -  Items Payable in Connection with Loan
      801 -  Our origination charge (includes Origination Point(s)  % or $0.00 )  $1,495.00  (from GFE #1)
      802 -  Your credit or charge (points) for the specific interest rate chosen $0.00 from (GFE #2)
      803 -  Your adjusted origination charges  (from GFE A)  $1,495.00

The corresponding 1098 says:
      Box 2 - Points paid on purchase of principal residence  .00

So you can only deduct the points, and not the origination charge?
    • that is correct. The origination charges that are not points are not deductible they are a commission to the mortgage company.  Points are interest because they are paid to the lender to reduce the rate of the mortgage.