KY Vehicle Registration Deduction?? What amount do I deduct??

Is it the total paid at registration or just the registration fee only.

Example:
Usage Tax: 365.85
Reg. Fee: 6
Title Fee: 9.00 (3 state fee and 6 was clerk fee)

Total paid at registration was 380.85

Do I claim 6 or 380 for a KY deduction???
    If you look on your car registration, usage tax is listed first, then registration fee, then title fee, then ad valorem tax. The usage tax is sales tax and cannot be deducted. Ad valorem tax is property tax and CAN be deducted. The registration, title and clerk's fees cannot be deducted. If it was a new car, the ad valorem tax may have been paid by the dealer or previous owner for the year and may not be listed on your fees, so you wouldn't have any to deduct on taxes for the year. The next time you register the car, you will pay ad valorem tax (in KY it is a yearly fee paid at the time of registration) and you can deduct it for that year.
    • I'm not sure anyone has addressed the issue of deducting KY's Vehicle Usage Tax, at least not with specificity.  The IRS allows taxpayers to choose whether they will deduct the State Income Tax they paid or the State Sales Tax they paid.  If one chooses to deduct Sales Tax, they can deduct the actual amount paid (lots of record keeping), or they can use a table.  On top of that, they can deduct Sales Tax paid on certain large purchases, such as a vehicle.  The KY Vehicle Usage Tax is collected just like a Sales Tax -- it is charged on the sale of the vehicle, and it is based on 6% (the Sales Tax Rate) of the value.  The IRS has some guidance about "Compensating Use Taxes" which seems to say that the Usage Tax would qualify as a sales tax.  Look at 26 USC 164. Can anyone weigh in on this issue?
    The AD VALOREM TAX Box on your KY Certificate of Registration contains the amount that you can Deduct.  Mine was around 1.467% of the KY ASSESED Value.
      THREE YEARS AGO, IF YOUDIDN'T BOTHER TO READ!
      RE: KENTUCKY ONLY  - 

• I HAVE SAME QUESTION FOR FLORIDA, I CAN USED SALES TAX AND GOVERMEMENT REGISTRATION AND LICENCE FEE? ALSO THIRD PART PRIVATE TAG AGENCY FEE?
      Yes Scruffy Crumudgeon, but that Usage tax is not imposed on a yearly basis.  It is only imposed the first time you registerthe car in KY.  I have the same questions as bbtwinboys, but all the IRS stuff I can find specifically uses the word YEARLY, as in the tax must be imposed yearly.  I'm confused.
      • So can we or can't we deduct the usage tax in Kentucky?  I have the same question.

Thanks
      • I am confused as well. I bought a car early in 2010 it got totaled mid year then bought another car. Can I or can't I claim these registrations, and if so to I claim the total amount paid, or just the usage tax ?
      You can only take the Usage Tax on the Vehicle.

These comments contradict each other. Usage tax may or may not be deductible...Why doesn't TurboTax set this straight by telling us which comment is correct?

• maybe you should have noticed that you bounced into a 3-year old thread?