Cannot import from TD Ameritrade

When I try to import my stock sales from TD Ameritrade, I receive nothing. Others have said that you need to import from Gainskeeper with the username [user]@amtd. I tried this and received a notification that I should download directly from TD Ameritrade.

Is there a current issue with TD Ameritrade? If so when will it be fixed?
  • I have the same problem.  Correct username format and pin.  It does not download anything.
  • I'm not getting any results either.  Looks like we may have to enter trades manually.
  • I am having the same issue.  Has anyone received an answer from TD as to why it won't download?
  • Same thing here...ugh! Has anyone called TD Ameritrade and asked? I am at work and cannot call...anyone feel up to it?
  • Hi. I called this morning and Ameritrade said they are working on it with high priority. It is still not working as of a few minutes ago. Also, you have to do (account number)@amtd and then put your four-digit pin in for the password.
  • Any update on this? Same problem. Login attempt @amtd with pin only results in error message and to download directly from Ameritrade .. yet that imports with zero content. Frustrating!
  • I just called Ameritrade. They don't know how long it will be. They can't get ahold of Gainskeeper.
  • I am on the phone with them now, it appears to be a problem with the online addition. Gainskeeper is the problem. There is nothing TD can do. Calling Gainskeeper now.
  • I used to import straight from TD Ameritrade in past years without issue.  Who and what is this Gainskeeper that all of a suddent ameritrade is forcing us to use?
  • TD Ameritrade uses a third-party, Gainskeeper, so that you can keep track of your gains and losses. TD Ameritrade has used this for years. If you import from TD Ameritrade, you will not be able to see how much you both bought a stock for and how much you sold it for. You will have to enter data yourself. By importing from Gainskeeper, you won't have to enter a bunch of data like you would if you imported from Ameritrade.
  • Ameritrade "cannot get a hold of Gainskeeper" ... that's the craziest excuse I have ever heard. What kind of fly by night outfit is this.
  • Gainskeeper's phone is busy.
  • yup I can't get them either, busy...
    I'm not going to enter these manually, I guess we will have to wait and see.
TD Ameritrade won't provide date acquired or cost for stocks bought before 1/01/2011 even though they have the data (purchased thru TDA originally).  What a poor technology company decision on behalf of their customers. Moving to another trading/investing platform.
  • Both TD Ameritrade and Turbo Tax are a bunch of clueless monkeys.  Even now that it is "fixed", it is still missing information Wash Sales, and still not giving you cost basis on "uncovered securities" even though that information is easily viewable under Gain/Loss on their own TD website!  Plus I think it will still generate bizarre errors on blank forms at Error Check.  Here is what I ended up having to do:

1) Use TaxAct (saving $40 in the process) and converting the TD XLS file into a CSV file using Excel.

2) Following the instructions at TaxAct for converting the CSV so that Wash Sales appear on the same line as the regular sale, except in a special column.

3) Merging a lot of transactions manually so everything looked as similar as possible to my 1099-B I got iin the mail from TD.

4) Painstakingly ensuring all the numbers added up.  All in all, TaxAct was a lot easier to go through than TurboTax because they asked a lot fewer useless questions. At least TurboTax helped me ensure that TaxACT end result was the correct (same refund amount as TurboTax).

Finally filed last night after two full days of trying to reconcile 1099-B data.  And I still accidentally claimed 3 very odd $1 transactions on my 1090-B as category A instead of B.  Not that it affects my taxes owed in any way, since all this work was just so I could tell the IRS that I needed to claim the max $3000 capital gains loss.

If I knew it was this much work at tax time, I never would have started investing.  I'm fully switched now to Merrill Edge and TaxACT, so I can hopefully kiss these kinds of issues goodbye.
TD Ameritrade are clueless monkeys.
    You can import the GainsKeeper generated data, which is complete, directly from TD Ameritrade. You don't log into GainsKeeper to do this. On the TDA web site go to the Tax Center and to the Realized Gains and Losses Report. Get the report for 2011 including wash sales. When you see that, at the top you will also see that you can download this report as a xls file (last week you could download as a TXF file also). Download it, then use one of the previously mentioned xls to txf file converters. Now you can import the complete set of transactions, not just those that TDA reports to the IRS. However, you do need to review each one and be sure that you indicate correctly whether the basis of that transaction was repoted on the 1099B.
    • I've been messing around with TD Ameritrade & Gainskeeper long enough. This year is no different from the last few years.  They want our trading commissions but when it comes to simplifying tax reporting- forget it!  I have 3 accounts and I'm switching to another broker who has better customer service when it comes to tax season.
    • An UNACCEPTABLE answer from TDA today.

Thank you for contacting TD Ameritrade regarding importing a .txf file into your tax software. Unfortunately the .txf file is not supported this year and you will not be able to import in this fashion. We do not have information on future years.

Currently the only way to import is to select TD Ameritrade as your Financial Institution and either use your USERID and PASSWORD or your 9 digit Account Number and PIN. This will bring over all of the Buy/Sell information for all Covered Securities. It will also bring over all the proceeds data but if the security is not covered then you will manually have to enter the Cost Basis for these securities.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please reply to this e-mail. Your business is appreciated and we want to make sure we address all of your questions and concerns.

Sincerely,

Rachael Peacock
      Apex Client Services, TD Ameritrade
      Division of TD Ameritrade, Inc.
    • Mine finally downloaded Sunday 2/26
    Another note on the subject ---see last paragraph

To Import the 1099B data from TD Ameritrade

Create the (Schedule D) Buy/Sell (txf) file
    1. Logon to your TD Ameritrade account; click Accounts, then History & Statements.
    2. Click the Tax Center tab.
    3. Click the year (e.g., 2010) under Show with wash sale adjustments in the Realized Gain/Loss Report section located halfway down the page (without scrolling).
    4. Click TXF at the top of the page.
    5. Choose to save the file (use the Desktop for easy access). Accept the file name that is provided.
    Import the (Schedule D) Buy/Sell (txf) file
    1. Open TurboTax and display your tax return.
    2. Click the File menu at the top left, point to Import and click From Accounting Software.
    3. Select Other Financial Software (TXF File) and click Continue.
    4. Click Browse to find the file (the file name begins with "realized" unless it was changed). Click the file name, and select Open.
    5. Click Import Now.
    6. If needed, click each check box to place a check to the left of each item listed, and click Import Now. Click Details to view the items to be imported (optional). Click Done to proceed.

Be aware that there is a bug in TT, so after you import the data all transactions will be classified on the new Form 8949 as (A) Transactions reported on form 1099B with basis reported to the IRS. This may well be incorrect for some transactions. The TT bug is that when editing the imported transactions data, answering the question about whether or not box 6 is checked, which should identify the transaction as type A(covered) or B(not covered), does not work to change the transactions; i.e. The result does not flow through to the database. However, using the forms method you can open the form “Imported 1099B”, and there you can edit each transaction correctly. This will produce the correct version(s) of the Form 8949. Note that if you are importing data from TD Ameritrade you will not see a box 6 on your 1099B, but instead you will see that transactions have been classified by long or short term, and by covered or not covered.
    • I'm glad I'm not the only one this problem.  I thought I was doing something wrong.   I wish they would get it fixed ASAP!
    • I am not going to wait for this to be "Resolved". I will be filing with a "See Attached Statement" and mailing in my TD Ameritrade consolidated statement manually, this is ridiculus.
    • Latest info from TD Ameritrade...I just spoke with them.

They are attempting to have Gainskeeper for online TT on 2/23, but they do not know if it will work.  TDA is recommending using the installed desktop version of TT to upload 1099B using the .txf file (see above posts for instructions.)

IMHO...This issue is neither the fault of TT or TDA.  This is the IRS changing the rules once again to further complicate our lives, and the brokers and tax software companies can't keep up with these changes.
    • I just finished my return using desktop version of TT.  Its easy.  Yes you may need to re-enter some of your other data, but downloading the Gainskeeper txf file was simple, and uploading it to desktop TT was also simple....no problems.  My return is filed and accepted.  

So don't fret over this gainskeeper issue with the online TT.  Just get it done with the desktop.
    • Using the physical TT is not easy, because you have to deal with this bogus bug: "Be aware that there is a bug in TT, so after you import the data all transactions will be classified on the new Form 8949 as (A) Transactions reported on form 1099B with basis reported to the IRS. This may well be incorrect for some transactions. The TT bug is that when editing the imported transactions data, answering the question about whether or not box 6 is checked, which should identify the transaction as type A(covered) or B(not covered), does not work to change the transactions; i.e. The result does not flow through to the database. However, using the forms method you can open the form “Imported 1099B”, and there you can edit each transaction correctly. This will produce the correct version(s) of the Form 8949. Note that if you are importing data from TD Ameritrade you will not see a box 6 on your 1099B, but instead you will see that transactions have been classified by long or short term, and by covered or not covered."

Edit each transaction correctly?  Are you kidding me?  I have hundreds of them and its my first time with a 1099-B.  I hope the online version doesn't have this bug when and if it it finally works, or I'm screwed.

Why the IRS needs all this info and can't just process a simple form for the brokerage that says:  This is how you much you lost or gained this year as a result of your investment purchases and sales is beyond me.  I can't even FIND this info on my paper 1099-B.   The only reason I know I have a $3000 loss for 2011 is the TD website gain/loss calculator.
    • Just finished filing my taxes!  It was easy!  I just exported my gainskeeper report as an excel file, then saved it on my PC as a CSV file.  Next I did some minor editing and imported it directly into the tax software.  Oh, BTW, I got disgusted with TurboTax an switched to the online version of TaxAct.
    • "Tax Act (Online) did not partner with TD Ameritrade or GainsKeeper (for TD Ameritrade data) for online import of 2010 tax data. We are working with Tax Act to include this data in the future."
    • Still not able to import my stock sales using Gainskeeper.  Any updates on when this will be fixed?
    • I spoke to TDA yesterday and they said they have a tentative date of this Thursday 2/23 for a fix for this.  Also, beware of taxact... Ran through my taxes using that yesterday and my refund was a good amount less than what I'm getting back from TT.
    • If I use the gainskeeper id it asks for an pin.  How do I get this pin?  Do I have to sign up with gainskeeper and pay their membership fee?
    • @jt300: No, as a td ameritrade user, your username should be [td ameritrade username]@amtd. Your password is your TD Ameritrade password. However, this is currently broken.
    • The pin is not your login password.  There is another 4 digit pin that you chose when you set up your online account.  It is used for phone calls to TDA and things like gainskeeper.  It can be retrieved by going to MY PROFILE, look for PIN and choose edit.  It will have a forgot your pin prompt.
    • The Gainskeeper import is still not working, but as of today the TD Ameritrade import for 1099-B IS working.. its not showing up as blank anymore, and all my transactions appear to be listed.  So should I use the TD Ameritrade data instead?  The only problems I am seeing with this are:

1) My loss reported is a little bit bigger than TD website reports $3600 vs $3020.  But that should not matter because I can only deduct $3000 anyway, right?

2) The bigger problem is that TT is now asking me in the Error Check section to enter Short Term or Long Term categorization for EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION... and I have almost 200 of them.  It is doing it 1 by 1, very slowly.

Am I even doing this right?  Should I wait for Gainskeeper to start working?  SO CONFUSED!!
    • @Elektro.. Who knows if the gainskeeper import will even work this year. I'm glad to hear that the 1099 is finally working though.
    • So while the TD Ameritrade 1099-B import (as opposed to Gainskeeper) is now working ... IT IS INCOMPLETE!   

NO info on Wash adjustments,
      NO info on number of shares traded.
      NO info on Short or Long term.
      NO info on tax withheld.

You just get the date sold, price, and company name.

Pathetic.

Now I have to delete almost 200 forms out of TT online. Thanks for nothing.
    • I agree. Total waste of time for me. If I need to do all of this manually, I might as well just go with one of the less expensive options..
    • It looks like the current 1099 problems are known and should be updated tomorrow.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Investment-Income/Error-Importing-from-TD-Ameritrade/SLN57988.html
    • I have a bad feeling that it's already "fixed" since it now imports from TD, but it is still badly broken, and missing needed info, which causing problems galore when you get to Error Check.  TD is broken, HR Block online thinks I owe $144,000 in taxes (actually its about a $1200 refund), and TaxAct wants me to rework the CSV file to combine Wash sales onto the same lines manually, which I can't figure out how to do correctly because nothing matches up.  Guess I have to spend a fortune at an accountant.  I hate this tax system.  All I want to do is report a stupid $3000 gains loss.
    • TXT file selection converts to TSV file, whatever that is.  If you select 2011 data from TD Ameritrade on their Tax page, at top gives you several format selections of which one is TXT which will import into Turbotax.  If one selects TXT, the actual file format is TSV, which won't input into TT.  What gives wiht that?
    To import the 1099B data from TDA you will first have to download the TXF file and then import that into TT. Beware that there is a bug in TT that will result in the wrong classification on form 8949 of transactions for which the tax basis was not reported to the IRS. I posted the work around for this bug elsewhere.
    • TD Ameridrade must be jammed up with calls.  I sat on hold and then just hung up.  Anyone have any news?
    • This is what I just received from TD Ameritrade: "I apologize for your difficulties with the TurboTax download.  The data is not yet ready for import.  Our IT people are working feverishly to resolve the issues.  In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. "
    • Talked to TD and they now say it is Turbo Taxes Problem to call them it is out of their hands, this is a load.
    • Same problem here! Isn't it funny! The Turbo Tax Software says "Presented by TD Ameritrade", yet I cannot import my stock trades into Turbo Tax! Shouldn't they figure this out BEFORE tax season????
    TurboTax (Online)

The Premier version and higher can import Buy/Sell and Dividend/Interest information, and can also properly calculate wash sales using the .txf import. Buy/Sell and Dividend/Interest information must be imported separately.

Import the Buy/Sell (Schedule D) information

1. Click the Federal Taxes tab at the top middle and click Continue.

2. Click Explore on My Own in the middle of the page.

3. Click Start on the right side within the Easy Import section.

4. Click the gray A financial institution radio button to the left, and then click Continue.

5. Type GAI under I'm Looking For to highlight GainsKeeper in blue, then click Continue.

6. Type[your 9-digit account #]@amtd for the Login ID and 4-digit PIN for the password and click Continue.

7. As needed, place a checkmark to the left of each item listed, EXCEPT Dividends and Interest, and click Import Now.

Import the Dividend and Interest information (1099-DIV and 1099-INT)

1. Click the gray Import More Data button on the left side of the page.

2. Select A financial institution by clicking the radio button and then click Continue.

3. Type TD under I'm Looking For to highlight TD Ameritrade in blue and click Continue.

4. Type [your 9-digit account #] for the UserID and 4-digit PIN for the Password and click Continue.

5. Remove the checkmark to the left of Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds, if listed. Click each remaining checkbox to place a check to the left of each item listed, and click Import Now.

6. Click the blue Continue button at the bottom right of the Import Complete notification screen.

Section 1256 Contract data

3. Click Start to the right of the Contracts and Straddles item in the Investment Income section.

TurboTax Error Messages

Hmmm. We're Unable to Import Your Information
    Response from GainsKeeper: Your Login ID or password is not recognized. Remember, characters in your password are case sensitive.

The format is the 9-digit account@amtd and 4-digit PIN. Find this on the My Profile page in the Personal Profile tab of your TD Ameritrade account.

Response from TD Ameritrade: Sign on invalid.

The format is [your 9-digit account #] and [your 4-digit PIN].

Find this on the My Profile page in the Personal Profile tab of your TD Ameritrade account.

Response from TD Ameritrade: 1099 forms not yet available for tax year.
    • still cannot import. Talked to Customer Care and TDA is working on the issue. But no ETA at this point.
    • I also cannot import :(
    • I can't import either... when I try to import 1099-B via TD Ameritrade it just gives me an error saying unspecified information is missing.  When I try to import via Gainskeeper I get a failure message and a suggestion that I import from TD Ameritrade, which of course, doesn't work!   I can't enter manually because I have hundreds of transactions on this 1099-B and its my first time doing it.  This is absolute garbage.  Now I have to scrap TurboTax Online and pay $300 to HR Block to do it for me.
    • Cant import either .... JUNK !    How do you not test this?   I guess all of the outsourced help from India is useless after all. You get what you pay for corporations of amerika!      you pretend to pay us, we pretend to work!
    • Same old issues... just a different tax year!

Seems like we go through this same issue with TT, Gainskeeper, and TD Americrap every year!!!  Come on TTurd... get it together!!!

Every year I experience some bug or issue with the investment portion of TurboTurd, and I vow to never use the online garbage tax service again... then a year goes by and I forget how much TurboTurd really SUCKS!.... so I do it again... and again.... and again.

You all know the definition of insanity, right: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different result."... Well, I'm CLEARLY insane for expecting different results from TURBOTAX year over year.  I'm insane for trying this AGAIN!!! or should I say: "A-Gain"skeeper.

Good luck to all getting through this rat-trap of a program!
    • Geez... I have been constantly emailing TDAmeritrade about this.  I thought I was the only one having this problem.  Now I see it's TDAmeritrades problem.  Thank you, everyone.  They don't tell you they are the one with the issues, they just tell you to do it this way and keep you thinking it's your problem!
    • I wonder what the legal ramifications are for TDAmeritrade.  What is the deadline?
    • I was just able to talk to someone at TD ameritrade (who was very nice) and regardless of whose problem or fault it is, it may be a few days to get the online turbotax version to upload gainskeeper.  HOWEVER, there is NOT an issue with the hard copy buy-at-the-store version of Turbotax and the gainskeeper upload.  The difference is that you would have to download gainskeeper at a txt file, and then upload it into the hard version of turbo tax.  An extra step, but TD Am said they would walk me through it.  Seems worth it to get it done, folks.  TDA is also sending me instructions which I will share later when I receive it.
    TDAccount-Accounts-TaxCenter-Realized Gains/Loss Report Gainskeeper-Download as TXF

TurboTax-Import-Import from TXF-Income-Import
    • "I wonder what the legal ramifications are for TDAmeritrade. What is the deadline" - I'm unaware of any law that says TDAmeritrade has to work correctly with Tax software, let alone a specific date..  They need to make 1099-B's available by Feb. 15, which I suspect you can find in the Tax Center.  I know I can.

"Now I have to scrap TurboTax Online and pay $300 to HR Block to do it for me" - If you urgently need to get this done and are willing to spend $300, feel free.  For me, I'll wait the few days for TD to sort it out.  You must have a huge refund where a few days of interest would cover the cost.  And my mom workd for H&R Block.
    • For the multiple "answers" that say to import the TXF file... The import is an issue with the web version, not the desktop edition. You cannot import a TXF file in the web version of Turbotax.
    • Import is also an issue with the PC version, and your original question did not refer to the web version.  A better "question" may get a better "answer".
    • I still can not import either
    • Has anyone here ACTUALLY had success with the desktop PC version of TT with downloading the txt file and then uploading it to the desktop version of TT?  I have purchased the desktop version, but have not opened it yet.
    • Here is the message I received from TDA with unstructions for using the desktop TT, if anyone want to attempt it.

Thanks for your contact with regard to the step-by-step instructions used to import activity from your TD Ameritrade account into the Installed version of TurboTax tax preparation software.

The Premier version and higher uses the GainsKeeper .txf file to import buy/sell information and calculates wash sales. Dividend/interest information can be imported from TD Ameritrade. Buy/sell information and interest/dividend information are imported separately. 1256 contract data must be manually entered.

First, you will create the .txf file used to move the buy/sell information into the Form 8949:

1.  Logon to your TD Ameritrade account; click Accounts, then History & Statements.
      2.  Click the Tax Center tab.
      3.  Click the year under Show with wash sale adjustments in the Realized Gain/Loss Report section located the bottom left of the page (without scrolling).
      4.  Click TXF at the top of the page.
      5.  Choose to save the file (use the Desktop for easy access). Accept the file name that is provided (starts with realized).

Now you will import the .txf file:

1.  Open TurboTax and display your tax return.
      2.  Click the File menu at the top left, point to Import and click From Accounting Software.
      3.  Select Other Financial Software (TXF File) and click Continue.
      4.  Click Browse to find the file (the file name begins with "realized" unless it was changed). Click the file name, and select Open.
      5.  Click Import Now.
      6.  The 1099-B will be check marked on the left. Remove any other check marks and click Import Now. Click Done at the lower right of the Import Summary page to proceed.

Now you will import the dividend and interest information (1099-DIV and 1099-INT).

2.  Click the File drop-down menu at the top left.
      3.  Point to Import, then From Financial Institution.
      4.  Type TD below I'm Looking For, click TD Ameritrade in the lower window to highlight, and then click Continue.
      5.  Type [your 9-digit account number] for the UserID, [your 4-digit PIN] for the Password, and click Continue.
      6.  Remove the checkmark to the left of Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds, if listed. Click each remaining checkbox to place a check to the left of each item listed, and then click Import Now.

Section 1256 contract data is not included in the .txf file. If you have any 1256 contracts to report:

2.  Click the Federal Taxes tab at the top middle and click Wages & Income to the left side to manually enter your 1256 Contract data.
      3.  Click Explore on My Own in the middle of the page.
      4.  Click the Start button to the right of the Contracts and Straddles item in the Investment Income section.

Please refer to Turbo Tax for questions on the usage of the imported data.

You can remove imported data while displaying a return by clicking the File drop down menu and then selecting Remove Imported Data.

Thanks for choosing TD Ameritrade!

Regards,

Jonathan Percival
      Client Services, TD Ameritrade
      Division of TD Ameritrade, Inc
    • But the TXF does not help Turbo Tax Online users.  We should be allowed to import the damn TXF into the Online version!  Also I tried HR Block Online, and it also cannot import the TD Ameritrade data.  So it is definitely a problem on the TD end.