This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

Injured Spouse claim

I had to file an injured spouse claim last year due to my husbands student loans. I have checked for any offsets for this year through the IRSs automated service and we do not appear to have any debts or offsets for this year, however I forgot to remove the injured spouse form and efiled our taxes with the injured spouse allocation. Will the IRS see there are no offsets and go ahead and process the refund, or will we still have to wait the 11-12 weeks to receive our return and/or do I need to remove the injured spouse allocation and refile our taxes.
  • We thought we had deleted our injured spouse form from Turbo Tax, but they sent it anyway.  After 12 weeks we got a letter saying they could not process our injured spouse form because it was incomplete.  Will they now process our income tax return without it or are they waiting for us to do something else?  The letter says we can file the form again.  We don't want to do that.  We want our refund processed without it.  Every time we try to call we get disconnected after being on hold a long time.
  • Only the IRS can answer that question. It is most likely that they will process your return without it, read the letter carefully to see what your options are and what they will do.
You can't re-efile your return.  They will process your return with the information you sent and will check for any debt owed but you can contact the IRS and see if you can find out what they would do with the injured spouse form you attached to your return (they maybe able to remove it). You can call the IRS at (800) 829-1040, Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. your local time (if you can't get a live person press the # key until it states they will connect you to a representative)
  • How do you check the automated service for debts?  is there a specific phone number?
  • I would like to know the same thing. Is there a way to check to see if you owe anything, past taxes, student loans, etc.???