how do i file using 6 digit pin

Due to id theft, I was issued a 6 digit pin by the irs...how can i electronically file using turbo tax
    The IP PIN is a special 6-digit Identity Protection PIN mailed to some taxpayers who had filed ID theft report. It is not to be confused with the Electronic Filing PIN that many taxpayers will use to sign their returns.

Here are the steps to enter the Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) that some taxpayers received in a letter from the IRS:

In the Online Product, click on the FEDERAL TAXES tab.
    Then click on the subheading OTHER TAX SITUATIONS.
    Find the category OTHER RETURN INFO.
    You will see the subcategory IDENTITY PROTECTION PIN. Click START.
    Next screen asks if you received a letter from the IRS with your IP PIN. Click YES.
    A box will appear for the input of the 6 digits.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    • I did all of this.....then when asked for a pin when filing (5 digit number) i do not have one.....fill in the blank on irs page, and it will not give me one.  even entering agi from last year doesn't help.  I have had my return rejected twice.
    • Thank you. I was on hold for 25 minutes when I found your instructions only to show the rep who had no clue.
    • I had the same thing happen as klc12. I called the IRS, they said I can only file using the 6dig pin that was mailed to me. They specifically said I cannot use the 5dig or my AGI (I tried last years AGI and it was rejected). I entered my 6dig pin per turbo tax instructions, but it still needs my 5dig or AGI at the end which I don't have. There is some sort of disconnect here.
    The 6 digit PIN number you are referring to is a IP PIN (read Identity Protection PIN) which is mailed to you by the IRS in mid-December.  It is not your efile PIN. These are two different PIN's. You can enter your 6 digit IP PIN by going to Federal Taxes-Other Tax Situations-Identity Protection PIN-Start.  TT will ask you if your have received a IP PIN, select yes and then enter the 6 digit nubmer there. When you have completed the rest of the TT forms, in the Print & File section you will be asked to enter your efile PIN. Call the phone number on the screen to connect to the IRS service, then enter that 5 digit efile PIN in the blank. I used this method, it works.
    • IDTheftVictim09:

Interesting.  Thanks for the feedback on your experience.  I have seen other users unsuccessful at getting the EF PIN because of the identity theft.  i.e., they could get their IP PIN, but not an EF PIN because the ID thief had used bogus AGI on the 2010 return.

Specifically look at the answer by klc12 above, where he/she could not get it.

So from what you are saying, it is still worthwhile to have a user at least try to get the EF PIN.  

Thanks.
    • My wife and I recently had to do the same thing with regards to entering an IP PIN and our return has been rejected 5 times now. Long story short, the IRS told me to make my wife the primary since it was her identity that was stolen last year except we got rejected again. I entered my 5 digit pin and submitted and we were still rejected because it came back with the same 0668 error code. I/We called the IRS each time it was rejected and they finally recommended we go to H&R Block because they were only hearing of issues with the IP PIN while using Turbo Tax. I even asked the IRS for the fraudulent return's AGI and entered it but it came back with an error for wrong AGI so that debunks the earlier comment about the "master computer" has the wrong AGI in it but if you talk to enough people at the IRS they are bound to tell us anything. It almost appears as if Turbo Tax's software is not setup to handle an IP PIN correctly because I haven't heard of anybody that has been able to get their return to go through.
    • No luck using my AGI or with talking with the IRS to get a filing PIN.  Has anyone with an IP PIN been able to file with Turbo Tax?
    Let me save all of you who were victims of ID theft last a lot of time.....you must paper file.  After spending literally hours on the phone with irs, the AGI from the bogus return that was filed is the number that is stored in the master computer, therefore, making it impossible for us to file electronically.  IRS is aware that thousands of us are affected by this but will not change the procedure to allow a reset of the electronic pin or give us the bogus AGI number so we too can file electronically.  Even Turbo Tax people do not know about this.
    • klc12,  thanks for reporting on your experience.  I'll make sure people at TT see your report.
    Okay, fellow identity theft victims,  I hope this is the answer.  In one of my several conversations with IRS over the past two days, I was given the 2010 AGI from the fraudulent 1040 and the thief's PIN.  Very nice, but I'm sure it was unintentional.  Although it seemed very wrong, I changed the verification on the filing page (the one that asks for the 5 digit PIN or 2010 AGI) to that bogus 2010 AGI number, then went to the Other Tax Situation/Other Return Info tab discussed above and inserted the 6 digit PIN I received earlier today from IRS.  Pressed transmit, and...voila.

Sounds ridiculous, but this actually worked!  However, don't get too excited, as my return is still pending and could be rejected.  Will advise soon. Identity theft sucks, Second year in a row.

Update--yes!!! This is the right answer, folks.  After two rejections over the past two days because I AM REPORTEDLY DECEASED, my federal return has been accepted and I am done with my taxes.  I used the 2010 AGI provided to me by IRS over the phone (presumably the AGI from the duplicate return), not my own calculation from my 2010 return, then used the six digit Identity Theft PIN IRS also provided me over the phone today, the one they said was sent to me last December.

This avoids mailing in and going through the agonizing process I suffered through last year.

Hope this helps someone avoid what could take many months to resolve.
    • sierrabobusa:
      Thanks for the report of your experience.  It sounds like you have been through a lot.
    • I too had my identity stolen and used to file a tax return last year and now I'm having trouble efiling my return through TurboTax despite having an IP pin.  I am also being told that I'm deceased.  Last time I checked, this isn't true.  I also called the IRS hotline to get a new efiling pin, and after letting me put in the information in the automatic system, I was told the IRS's offices are currently closed.  Not sure how that would matter for an automatic system, but whatever.  I will try calling back tomorrow.  We actually owe this year because we changed our withholdings after waiting for 6 months for the IRS to return our large refund, so the sense of urgency I feel isn't as great.  Still, I want to get my money's worth out of the Turbo Tax fee.
    • IdentityTheft16:

You can use the interactive webform at the IRS website to try to get the 2011 electronic filing PIN as well, even when they are closed.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=213471,00.html

Also even when that IRS phone recording says it is closed, sometimes if people keep on listening way to the end, that it does start talking about the PIN.  Whether or not it would carry one to the final result I'm not sure.  But the website method should be available all the time.
    • Identity Theft 16:

BTW, you may already know this, but TurboTax will refund fees paid for state tax e-file if you must mail in your return.  But try to obtain that 2010 AGI from the duplicate return if the 5 digit PIN method fails.  I'm still pinching myself about being able to successfully file with the new 6 digit IP PIN and the 2010 AGI from the bogus return.   I expect a refund in just a few days.
    • sierrabobusa:

However, you are using a desktop product (which has a separate efile fee for state), and the other user is using an online product, which does not have efile fees.  I don't know that  TT support would do in that circumstance, since the online fees are for "preparation" of the return and include free efiling.
    • I filed on 2/28 and I put my IP pin in the correct place  it was accepted why is still take so long is anybody still waiting for refund I talk IRS I don't owe anything they haven't sent me any letters don't what's the hold up on my money.
    It may be that people with an IP PIN don't need to put anything at all in AGI or the regular efile PIN field.  But I don't know that for sure.  You could try with just the 6-digit pin and leave the AGI and other PIN field blank.  Before efiling, run the Error Check/Final Review again and see if it allows that or if calls it an error.

If you do try that, please report back on whether it worked for you.

In the meantime, I will ask TT to look at this thread.

****************************

ADDENDUM:
    For electronic filing, when signing the return it may be worth trying to get the EF PIN from the IRS and see if it works (leaving the AGI field blank, of course).  Some people have been successful, others not so.

See the feedback from user klc12 and user IDTheftVictim09 farther down in this thread.
    • TurboTax won't let you leave the fields blank. I don't know what the IRS wants you to put for your PIN/AGI in this situation, but I'll try to find out. I probably won't have any more information until Monday, though.

If you want to try to resubmit before that, I would try using 0 for your AGI. This is what the IRS instructs people to do if they did not file a return last year. Since it didn't accept your prior-year's AGI and you don't have a PIN, this might work.
    • Hi i try to put the 6 digits IPIN and dont let me do anything,
    • iab2011:

What do you mean by it "won't let you do anything"?   Is it not accepting the number at all?  The more info you provide about the steps you are taking, the more likely someone will be able to help you do what you need to do.

Did you go through all the steps I outlined in my first answer above?
    • Hi,i enter my 6 digit at the other tax situations..then when im ready to e-file system keep asking for 5 digit
    • iab2011:
      Did you file a 2010 return?  

I've asked TT if there is any new word on this.

In the meantime, if you wanted to, you could try what TurboTaxTyson suggested in his answer above.  i.e., using a 0 (a zero as a single digit) in the AGI field, and leaving the 5-digit PIN blank.  That's going to be the most likely solution until and unless we hear otherwise.   Keep watching this thread.   If you try it, and if it works or not, please report back with your results.
    • We're not aware of any special requirements for the electronic signature when using the IP PIN. You should be able to sign your return normally.

klc12, I would suggest filing using a prior-year AGI of 0 or contacting the IRS to find out what they want you to use for your PY AGI.

This article has information on finding your prior-year AGI. Click the bottom section, "What if I cannot find, or did not file, a 2010 return?" for IRS contact information.
      http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN12049

iab2011, you don't say if you've tried getting the self-select PIN from the IRS website. Try going to the IRS website (linked below) and follow the instructions to get your 5-digit filing PIN.