Can I claim a foster child as a dependent if I get compensation for him

Is the foster care check I receive for my foster child considered the child himself paying for his living expenses, or can I claim the child as my dependent
    I disagree with the previous person's foster care agency who said no. The answer is actually *maybe.*

If the child lived with you for at least half the year (6 months that don't have to be consecutive) then you can claim the child as a dependent. If they lived with the birthparent or someone else for more than half the year, that person can claim them.

I have had foster children placed with me for short periods of time. I couldn't claim them. I have two now who were with me for 8 and 12 months of last year. I do claim them.
      Yes you can claim the child (if he/she meets the other tests for dependency). The payments are considered payment by the state (or other agency), not payments by the child.(Pub 17 2011, p 29)
      • Foster care agency says "no" to claiming a foster child as a dependent
      Foster care payments are reimbursements, not income.