can i file an old 1098-t form

I have my 1098-t form from 2010. Can i still file it for 2011. I never filed it as i was not aware of this form.
    You must claim education expenses in the year paid. You would claim your 2010 1098-t on an amended 2010 tax return. You can not claim it on a 2011 tax return.
    • So i would amend last years tax return and then file my 2011 1098-t with this years return?
    Yes, that is what you would do.
    Here's a link to the instructions for amending your 2009 return. You have until April 15, 2013 to amend your 2009 return.

    Amend a 2009 Return

    When you start paying off your student loan, you might be eligible for the student loan interest deduction. This is an "above the line deduction" (technically an adjustment to income). You can take it even if you do not itemize deductions. At the end of each year you will get a Form 1098-E (or substitute) from the lender showing how much interest you paid during the year. Enter the amount in TurboTax and the program will determine whether or not you are eligible for the deduction, and if so, how much you can deduct. There is an income limitation. The deduction is based on the amount of interest, not the total payments. See IRS Publication 970 for more details.
    • I did the 2009 amended tax form 1040x. I am wondering if it is normal that it shows no AGI on that page. And the 1040 original is attached to it with different information and number than my original 1040.
    • Hi, I also have a 1098-t form from 2010; but for 2010 I didn't file any tax return. All the above solutions are based on amendment to previous 2010 tax return. What should I do if I don't have any tax 2010 record? Could I still file the tax return for 1098-t from 2010? Thanks.
    • This happened to me as well. I DID NOT pay anything for tuition in 2010, but $10,000 is showing up on a 2010 1098-T that I just found. I ONLY paid in 2011. What do I do?
    Instructions for amending your 2010 return are at the following link on the TurboTax support site.

    Amend a 2010 or 2011 Tax Return
    • It doesn't mention a 2009 return amendment. Can i get my education credits for that year too. It would help me start paying off this 37000 dollar loan.
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.