private school tax deduction

2 of my children attended private school last year where do i deduct that on my state return?
  • Do we have to guess which state you are referring to or will you just tell us?

Update:  Oh, I see now that it is Indiana.
Howard I think bug a bug is in Indiana.  As you go through the Indiana State deductions section there's a page (Other Indiana Deductions) and a button to check beside (Had Children Attending Private/Home School) and bug a bug will have to go back through their State Return again to get to that deduction.
Here's how to do that bug a bug
- Click on the State Taxes tab
- Click on Continue
- You'll see your Indiana tax return
- Click on Edit
- Go back through your Indiana tax information making certain everything is correct and you will final come to the
(Other Indiana Deductions) Check square box next to (Had Children Attending Private/Home School) then Click Continue and proceed through the Indiana Tax interview.
  • bug a bug I've added information on how to enter your information in case you get lost trying to find it.
  • One major point to remember, this is a $1000 DEDUCTION from IN income for each dependent in private schooling.  It is not a $1000 credit.  Not counting the tax rate for the IN county, this $1000 deduction equates to a $34 reduction in taxes.
  • Do I need to put the school information? When can I do this? Also, is it applicable to private schools who do not administer ISTEP? Can I do claim the deduction, if I only paid the private school tuition half of the year? The laws are not very clear