Will filing an amended 2010 return delay 2011 refund?

While preparing to file our 2011 tax return we realized that we should have claimed the EIC for tax year 2010.  We called the IRS and they said we should file an amended return.  We did so in late December but now I'm wondering if having the amended return out there in the IRS system could potentially slow down our 2011 refund.
    No, your amended return will not delay your 2011 return.  They are processed separately.
    • One point I forgot to mention...when filing the amended 2010 return we needed to add a form 8862 (filing for EIC after it was disallowed previously).   I'm not sure if we'll need to do another 8862 for this tax year since it's likely that the amended return will not have been processed yet.  Will the IRS know that we already filled out the form 8862 on the amended return?
    • This is the question I wanted to know as well. I have to amend my 2010 beacuse I was off a couple figures on my income and even though I got a nice refund I was overpaid $16.00 for Fed and Maryland for $14.00. I am sending in the money as well as the amended return that Turbo Tax prepared for me but I hope it doesn't slow down my 2011 taxes. But I noticed that TT took down my 2011 refund and made it $0. I am not submitting anything until I figure out why and or maybe start over.