What should I claim on my w4

I am the only one working right now and take care of my wife and daughter of one year. What should I be claiming on my w4 form? Should I only be claiming 1 or 3
    What you enter on your W4 is up to you, no one here can tell you exactly what to enter because your W4 depends on how much or how little taxes are taken out of your paycheck.  It does not matter what allowances you enter on your W4 as long as you will owe less than $1000 in taxes when you file your 2011 tax return to avoid penalties. The more allowances (not dependents) and what martial status you choose on your W4 determines how much taxes are taken out of your paycheck. (For example if you are married you can actually choose to claim Single and zero allowances, that would have more taxes taken out of your paycheck). You choose what allowances to claim and what martial status depending on how much or how little you want taken out of your paycheck.

What you claim on your W4 is not what you claim when you file your tax return. When you file your tax return you would enter your right filing status and the actual number of dependents.

For more information on Tax withholding see publication 505
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p505.pdf
    • I have 2 jobs first one is full time and the second is part time but once a while.
      iam married and my wife is not working cause she pregnant next month we expecting a baby.
      how should i do my w-4
    What you claim on Form W-4 is withholding allowances, not dependents. The number of withholding allowances that you claim on the W-4 is only roughly related to the number of dependents you have. The purpose of the withholding allowances on the W-4 is to make the amount of tax withheld from your pay reasonably close to the amount of tax you have to pay for the year. In order to accomplish that, the number of withholding allowances that you claim might have to be more or less than the number of dependents you have.

If your tax situation is very simple, you have one job, no significant other income, and you normally take the standard deduction on your tax return, claiming 3 withholding allowances will probably make your withholding about right. But it would be best to use the IRS calculator that Texas Roger pointed you to in order to get a more accurate number, or you can use the worksheets in the Form W-4 instructions. You should definitely use the calculator or the worksheets if you have other income or you itemize deductions. The calculator is more detailed and will therefore give you a more accurate estimate.
    • well right now I have 3 dependents down with my works w4 but we can adjust them as well. Would it be ok though to have 3 dependents down, or should I be claiming only 1 for my daughter?
    • in the field where it says the total of allowances i am claiming I have 3 down. Should I be the head of the household as well or just status as Married?
    It is not possible to answer your question without knowing details of your tax situation. Use this link to the IRS calculator to help you determine how many allowances you should claim: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html
    • I just want to know what I should be claiming though? My wife doesn't work but I still take care of her. Can I claim myself my wife and my baby?