Excess HSA Contribution

Turbo Tax is saying that my employer made an excess contribution to my HSA account.  They only contributed $1000 & I contributed $1500 even though box number 12 on my W-2 is showing $2500.  Am I suppose to input the Gross Distribution number in the Excess Contribution Withdrawal?  Help!
    I don't believe so.  You should have a 1099SA form that shows what your distribution was. It sounds like the w2 box 12 is correct, you just need to make sure you go through the HSA section and input what your 1099SA box 1 says and then TT should calculate for you the amounts.  If you did not spend extra money on medical expenses other than what came from your HSA then it shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes it's best to go back to the beginning and make sure you input the exact numbers from your w2's and 1099SA's.  I did mine and redid them about 5 times before I got it correct.

not sure if that helps at all.  it seems a lot of us are having trouble with this HSA section this year. Hang in there.
    • This HSA stuff is confusing.  My w2 says my employer contributed $2760, but that's what I contributed.  My employer contributed $1200.
    • I have read a lot about this HSA issue and the confusion surrounding it. I have also tried some of the suggestions mensioned in the blog. I had the same problems until I discovered the question about excess distributions after DECEMBER 31 2011. The amount that was entered for distributions on the 1099 SA statement was being populated in the field for EXCESS DISTRIBUTIONS AFTER DECEMBER 31 2011. Clear this out and put in 0.0 and your TT calculation should be correct. If your number should drop or change, it may be because of this error. This should be correct when you solve for this problem. TT has always been a solid Tax program.
    Enter the information from your 1099 SA where TT is asking you to enter it. Answer all of the other questions that TT will ask you in the following questions and these answers should make sense to you. When you reach the page where TT shows your employers contribution from your W2 (in your case $2500), and below that number you will see the gross distribution amount that is already populated from the information that you entered from you 1099 SA. This is what threw me. Stop here and read the question. The question that is being asked of you is this.
    WHAT WAS THE DISTRIBUTION AMOUNT THAT WAS TAKEN AFTER DECEMBER 31, 2011. Under normal circumstances this value would be 0.0. The error of the Turbo Tax system is that they populate this field with the information that you entered from your 1099 SA about 6 steps prior. You should clear out this field and enter 0.0. you more than likely had the full $2500 distributed in 2011 for qualifying medical expenses or something less than the $2500 in your case and if there were anything left, it caries over to 2012. No tax penalty here. But the question that is being asked here that I think is confusing everybody is, WHAT WAS THE DISTRIBUTION AMOUNT THAT WAS TAKEN AFTER DECEMBER 31, 2011. Clear out this field that TT for some reason decided to populate with 1099 SA distributions and enter in a value of 0.0 and your error check will pass this one.
    • What version of Turbotax are ya'll using?  I'm using Deluxe Online and having the same HSA issue....TT saying my eployer contributed an excess amount of $2,950 which is the W-2 amount.  I don't see how to correct this and TT is calculating a tax on it!  It's also saying my personal contribution of $2,640 (entered in the box "all other contributions") was in excess and is taxing that too!  My 1099-SA shows a gross distribution for 2011 of $7,589.89.  Help!

I don't see the exact page where the other user said.........."When you reach the page where TT shows your employers contribution from your W2 (in your case $2500), and below that number you will see the gross distribution amount that is already populated from the information that you entered from you 1099 SA. This is what threw me. Stop here and read the question. The question that is being asked of you is this. WHAT WAS THE DISTRIBUTION AMOUNT THAT WAS TAKEN AFTER DECEMBER 31, 2011. Under normal circumstances this value would be 0.0. The error of the Turbo Tax system is that they populate this field with the information that you entered from your 1099 SA about 6 steps prior."
    • Found this answer in another question and it worked.  TT really needs to fix this....wasted over 2 hours chasing this workaround.  Come on Turbotax!

1.  Select "No" to HDHP even though you have one
      2.  Next screen...select all 12 months....the tax fixes itself (and won't incorrectly go to "excess" screens).
      3.  After you're done, go back through the HSA screens again, and this time, select "Yes" that you do have a HDHP, since this is the correct way to input it.  It should remain fixed and not go to the "excess" contribution screens.
    • bmiller8998's had the workaround for us!
    I had the error Excess HSA Contribution.  There was a 0 (zero) in the field which was causing an error.  I removed the zero and left it blank and it cleared the error.  Hope this helps others as I spent over an hour online with the help desk and trying to reconfigure
    • I still don't get HSA. Total contribution is 3,451, which my employer contributed 1,200 and I did the rest. Why TT showing Excess Contribution Amount $3,451? I can't find place to fix it. Can someone please provide step by step process to eliminate the incorrect Excess Contribution Amount? Thanks!