When can I file an amended tax return, are the forms ready or what am I waiting on?

When can I file an amended 2010 tax return? Are the forms ready, or what am I waiting on. I have filled out and completed the turbo tax amended form, but at the end it says, "form not final do not file" ? I can pick up a form from my local IRS building, but now I'm reading that people aren't supposed to file an amended form until Feb 10th, 14th, or 18th, which one is it?
  • Has the your original 2010 return been accepted and processed ?  Best to wait until you are sure.   It takes 8 - 12 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return, which must be mailed in.
If you efiled, wait and see if the IRS accepts or rejects your return. If they reject it you can fix it and resend it. If they accept it then you will have to mail in an amended return form 1040X. But wait until you get your refund or your payments clears.  

The amended forms won't be ready until Feb 17.  See this… http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-2010-Tax-Return/GEN13226.html

FIRST OF ALL DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING until you start the amendment process.  If you already changed it first put it back to the way it was originally.  Also it would be a good idea to save your original return as a pdf file to your computer before you start. To Save as a PDF:
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/federal-review/review-errors/390.html

It's under Federal Taxes Tab or Personal for H&B version
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Amend a Return - Click Start or Update

The amended return is form 1040X and can only be mailed and will take 8-12 weeks or more to process.  And they only send checks for amended returns, no direct deposit.  You should also wait until you get your original refund or your payment has cleared.

When you go through the amendment section it asks you how much you paid or got back on the original return so be sure to enter it.  Then the amended return will only show the difference you get back or need to pay.

And remember you may need to also amend the state return.

Read this on how to amend 2010….
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-2010-Tax-Return/GEN13226.html?_requestid=405993
  • To make sure I understand this correctly, on or after 2/17/11 I can go back to the print and save section of turbo tax and print out the amended tax return without the water mark, "form not final do not file" and mail in my amended tax return?
    Is there anything else I need to do or will the water mark, "form not final do not file" be removed? I should just be able to log in and print the amendment form and mail it, right? On or after 2/17/11, right? Is that a hard date or should I continue to check back everyday to see if I can file it? In other words, when the form is approved then the water mark will automatically be gone, right?
  • Well I don't know if it's a hard date since it originally was Feb 10 and they changed it to Feb 17.
  • ok but again, the water mark will automatically go away, or is there something else I need to do, do I have to go back and redo the amendment again from the start or will the water mark just be gone when it's ready?