On a form 1099-B what does non covered mean for box 6?

If the sales are not reported to the IRS do I still need to report the sales?  Essentially in one incident I had my broker close one account outside of his portfolio for me and transfer the money directly to an account he managed.  Is there any gains to that sale anyway?  Do I have to report that sale and purchase?

On other occasions he sold and bought different mutual funds on my behalf. I got a 1099-B but no cost basis is provided. I do have the quanity and gross proceeds in formation. Does that need to be reported?
 Box 6 was again uncovered.  Do I need to report the sales? If so I would I calculate the gains?
    All sales reported on a 1099-B must be entered and reported on your tax return.  Closing the account is the same as selling the holding and investing it somewhere else.  It must be a part of your tax return.  The box 6 not covered refers to whether the cost basis information on the sale was reported (covered) to the IRS as part of the 1099-B or not.  It was not for your sales.
    • Banks are sending 1099-B NON COVERED information, with neither cost basis OR date of acquisition, TurboTax requires both even if you select NON COVERED option. Where do we get this information. Is it the client or the bank who is responsible for supplying this information ?
    "Is it the client or the bank who is responsible for supplying this information ?"

It's you, the taxpayer, who is responsible for supplying this information from your records.  If the sold lot includes purchases from more than one date, you can enter "various" as the acquisition date.  Your cost basis is the total of all the purchases of this holding that were sold in this lot.  You choose a method of determining basis - FIFO, LIFO, average cost etc.  If this is a mutual fund and you have used average cost previously you must continue to use it.
    • TT does not allow me to enter "various" - it requires an acquisition date.  How do I get past this?