Can I claim my mom is she receives SSI benefits she receives $9132 from SSI the house is under her name but I pay for taxes, utilities, food etc.

You may claim your mom as your dependent under the qualifying relative rules if:
    1. she did not have gross income of $3650 or more (social security is NOT counted under this rule)
    2. you provided OVER HALF of her support for the year
    3. she did not file a joint return with a spouse, and
    4. she is a US citizen or resident, or resident of Mexico or Canada

You should determine if her social security income provides over half of her support since the amount she receives is significant. Support includes housing, food, medical and dental, transportation, recreation and other necessities. Compare what you and your mother contribute to determine if you provide over half of her support.
    • If SSI is not taxable or gross income by definition, what is the definition of support? How you determine what is 50% of your dependent support? If the grandma is also receiving Medicaid, food stamps, etc it starts to add to her SSI and for example could become a lot more then $10000. Then 50% of the support will be a lot more of $10000? Support is a match against gross income or SSI or what? If the Grandma is very very sick Medicaid will pay a lot of money for her medical expenses? What if the grandma is in the nursing home and the daughter provided everithing else-clothing, taking her to doctor appointments, etc? Can she claim her as a dependent?

Please, show me where IRS defines what support is?
    Can I claim my mother who resides in a nursing home and receives Medicaid assistance.  All of her income she receives from allimony checks and SS goes to pay for her nursing home however I supply her with everything she needs like clothing, beauty aids, cell phone, cable tv service to her room, and occasional snacks.  Her husband recently died and now I want to know if she has to file taxes individually or can I claim her and file her on my taxes?