I went to http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax freedom and it's charging me for what is supposed to be a free state return

• This happened to me also, whats up with that?
  • This happened to me for my daughter's taxes also in IN.  I went from the state link still with charges showing up.  I'll report it to the state and see if that helps
  • Me too!! Also in IN. :/ has anyone tried anything or anywhere else?
  • carmend556
    Me too!!! In NC.
You all are asking from Turbo Tax not Tax Freedom.  Especially the people who are asking from Basic.  Basic is not the free one.

The Turbo Tax Freedom website is free for federal AND free in 22 states. To qualify  you just need to meet one of these 3 things…..
AGI $31,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $57,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Tax Freedom Edition, you have to start it at a special website:
http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

When you get to Tax Freedom use the link to "I Qualify, Start Now" instead of the sign in link.
  • Just FYI, if you have already made an account that is associated with a paid version of TurboTax, you must create an entirely new unique account with a different username and password and redo EVERYTHING in order to get it to do the Freedom edition. Otherwise it will keep bringing you back to your account that is not associated with Freedom edition.

For example, I used TurboTax Basic editiion (34.95) then found out that I qualified for Freedom edition after I had already paid for and filed my Federal return. I had to make an entirely new account just to file my State return for free. SO FRUSTRATING. There should be an option to use Freedom edition within all acounts, even those associated with a paid version. IF YOU QUALIFY FOR FREEDOM, IT SHOULD TELL YOU. Fix this please Intuit.