My return was rejected because the Taxpayer TIN in the return header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated on the return. What does this mean, I only filed once.

I contacted the IRS today, and, apparently, someone has, indeed, filed a tax turn using my identification.  The only remedy is to call the IRS.  They will flag your account, give you the attack plan (complete an Identity Theft Affidavit, file and obtain a copy of a police report, contact the credit bureau, contact the social security administration to also flag your account , and the list goes on.). You will only be able to paper file.  Once you do so, a duplicate return will be noted, they will investigate and your processing will be delayed.  Today was day one for me in the resolution process.  Don't delay.  My first step was to check my credit report.

Apparently, this is happening quite frequently.
      No fix is possible. Some one has already efiled using the Social Security Number. If you want to change the return now you must amend it.
      • The same thing happened to me for the first time after using TurboTax for many years. There was no previously accepted electronic return. There must be another cause for this errot.
      • I just received the same error and have not submitted another return this year.  Could this be some kind of Turbotax issue?
      • I'm having the same problem, No other return was filed this year (at least not by me). I've checked the return and the ssn entered is correct. To complicate matters, my state return is being rejected because the federal return was rejected and now I understand that NY requires you to e-file otherwise they impose a $25 penalty. This has to be a bug with TT. I've been using this product forever and never had any issue like this before.