IRA early withdraw penalty

I withdrew $17000 from my IRA in tax year 2010. therefore I had to pay $1700 (10% penalty) when I did my taxes in 2011.  My question is can I claim this $1700 penalty as an expense for tax year 2011?  If so, what box does it go in?
    No. A penalty is not deductible.
    • On form 1040 line 30,there is a place to adjust your income because of  Penalty on early withdrawal of savings.  Why doesn't Turbo Tax show this?
    • please explain what line 30, "Penalty on early withdrawal of savings" on Form 1040 is for?
    • The way it was explained to me was line 30 is for fees you paid the bank (not the Feds) for early withdraw.  For instance, If you withdrew from a CD early the "bank" might charge an early withdraw fee.  The early withdraw of a retirement account is not deductible and does not go on line 30.