How to file "married-filing jointly" Federal and State (AZ) returns without SSN/ITIN number of non-working spouse (on dependent H4 VISA)

I am working and have SSN.
My wife is non working and does not have a SSN/ITIN number.

Please can anyone guide how to file both federal and state tax returns under the married-filing jointly status.

Would really appreciate a detailed reply.
    You can't do it.  She would need to get an SSN if eligible, or a TIN if not.
    • Can I submit my tax returns along with W7 (application for TIN for her?) for both federal and taxes


      I apply for TIN for my non working spouse now and then wait for it to come and file federal and state return using extension period.

      Please advice
    You can file the federal return now with the W-7 as it must accompany the tax return.  You would need an extension on the state return.
    • In my case I will get a refund for federal returns when filing jointly-married but owe money to state.
      If I owe money to state can I still get an extension for state return....if yes...what is the procedure for getting state extension.

      Thanks so much for helping me out.
    You can get a state extension but it is an extension to file, not an extension to pay.  Some states rely on the federal extension, some require a separate extension.  You don't mention your state.
    • My state is AZ.

      In case I need to file a separate extension for state, how do I pay the amount I owe to state before April 17.
    Use Arizona Form 204 and mail it in with a copy of your check.  A copy is here:
    • So as I understand I should:

      A)  File federal return along with spouse W7
      B) Pay state dues and file for state extension via Form 204
    • Just found out that I do not owe state (AZ) money.

      So should I still file extension for state VIA form 204.

      I want to know if state (AZ in my case) will accept automatic extension in the case when state owes money to the person.

      Please guide.
    I would definitely still file the extension - just to be safe.
    • Can I print federal retuns via TURBO TAX without paying for it?
      Since e filing via TURBO TAX for federal is free in basic version can I print the FEDERAL RETURNS (AS I NEED TO FILE IT ALONG W7)  without paying for state returns filing to TURBO TAX (I have filed an extension for state tax)
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.