TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Not accepting Routing Number. Same number I used last yr. Bank said should accept as all my pay checks do not have a problem.

If you are with BofA.  Turbo tax uses the "electronic" routing number.  Log into your checking account online.  On the left hand side you'll see "routing numbers".  They'll explain the difference between each type: paper, electronic, and wire.  I had the same problem but realized they are using the "electronic" routing number for direct deposit.
    • i used the same account number as last year for a direct deposit and now they are telling me they cant accept it as a direct deposit
    • I am asking the question my routing number is the same in both places but you say it is not.
    • I am having the same problem and I am getting very frustrated with trying to get through to customer service..I actually had to look around these comments and another person shared the phone number...this is a terrible site and I'm just thinking of not going through TT again!!
    • I used Bank of Americ and the above answer can solve my problem. Certainly it is still TT bug which make the software crappy. The help guide clearly suggest people to use paper routing number as used on check book. TT should hire some smarter engineers to do automatic recognition from paper routing number to electronic routing number. My electronic money transfer from BoA to Vanguard using paper routing number still works.
    There are two possibilities. First, A routing number is 9 digits and the ninth digit is called a "check digit", a mathematical formula is applied to the first 8 digits to generate the ninth, if your number fails that test, Turbotax will reject the return. Second, there are some banks that have routing numbers that appear to be valid but are only used for paper checks and not electronic transactions. Turbotax checks a list of these because they  know from experience that they appear to be valid but will be rejected by the bank. If you are typing in the number from a paper check and it is being rejected, call your bank to get a routing number that is useable for IRS deposits.
      Banks use different routing numbers for different things.  If you used Bank of America there are five routing numbers that the bank does not use for electronic transactions.   If you're seeing the following message, then you've entered one of those five numbers. You will need to contact the bank for the correct direct deposit routing number that they also refer to as their ACH routing number.

"We noticed that you entered a routing number that your bank does not use for direct deposit or direct debit."

More info on Bank of America Routing Numbers……….
      http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Direct-Deposit/Certain-Bank-of-America-Routing-Numbers-Cause-Loop-in-Refund-Screens/SLN44976.html?_requestid=117752
      • It is certainly a TurboTax problem. I also have BOA, and despite my routing number being the same electronic/paper one I have used dozens of times, TurboTax is not accepting it. I already logged into my BOA account online and have tried each of the three routing numbers (paper, electronic and even wire), but none work. Same with my savings account.

The TT programming bug won't let me submit my return electronically as it claims my routing number is incorrect. Guess I'll have to ditch the TT software and file elsewhere. I really don't want a paper check.
      • I am afraid you folks really have a problem there because, while reading these comments I checked my bank account and my State refund was deposited yesterday, electronically using the same routing # I just gave you for this return!
      • I have a Bank of America account and tried using the same account information as last year but got this error.   I logged on to my B of A website.  Go into the account details section of the account that you want to direct deposit into.   On the left side of the screen click "Show routing numbers".   I selected the routing number for electronic and Turbo tax liked it.    Thanks for the help.
      • I used same rtg num. as last year and every month for DD. It has always worked and still does except for TT. I  believe TT has a problem.

Similar questions other people found helpful: