Do I Have To Pay Ohio State Tax For Unemployment Received From CA If I Lived In Ohio All Year?

I lived in Ohio for all of 2010 - but I received unemployment from CA.  So now I'm trying to figure out whether I need to file for Ohio or not.  I paid 10% of each check towards federal taxes, so of the $25,150 I earned this year, I withheld $2,385.  When I try filling out the federal form it says I have a refund coming to me of about $460.. but also says I owe Ohio about $475.  How is this possible if I didn't work or even earn anything from Ohio?
    Any income recieved, including unemployment income, will be taxable in your State of residence in this case OH.  Even though it may have been paid through CA Department of Unemplyment it is considered taxable income in OH since you are an OH resident
    • Are you serious???  So even though I paid my federal 10% out of each check, Ohio is going to screw me by making me pay about $25 more than I should be receiving back from the federal payments I made?  

California doesn't charge state tax on unemployment - so I'm assuming I don't have to fill out a state form for them, correct?  But I'm definitely going to be screwed by Ohio in having to pay that much?  Does that even SOUND right to have to pay almost $500 on "unemployment" benefits for a state that didn't even pay me them???
    • I know it seems unfair, but to OH is considered taxable income.  You do not have to file in CA if there were no taxes paid to CA and you were not a resident at any time.  Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you but most states where a person is a resident treat unemployment income as taxable income
    • Thanks, Paul - yea, that's honestly a real bummer.  Does that number sound right for how much I'm getting back from the federal refund?  I withhheld $2,385 and am only getting back $460??  I still can't believe that Ohio is asking for almost $500 though.  The logic just isn't there to pay a state tax if you didn't earn anything there.  You just "lived" there.  If you "work", then sure - of course, tax the income.  But they have no right to take almost $500 for money they didn't pay into.  That's highway robbery!