This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

Where do I access Box #32a on Schedule C? All Investment is at risk

Hello,
I'm completely done entering all the information. Turbo Tax did the Federal Review & stated I had some errors. It opened the actually Federal Tax Forms & I was able to correct one of my Schedule C's. I noticed on my other Schedule C for my other business that the box #32a should also be checked. The Federal review didn't catch this. I cannot figure out how I can get this box checked. I'm using the Home & Business online Turbo Tax softwhere. Can someone please assist me?

Thank you!
    Try this....

Go to Business tab-Continue
    Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
    Then…
    Business Income and Expenses- Click the Start or Update button

You should see the Business Summary page that lists your businesses, (right below the list you can Add Another Business)
    Then click EDIT by your business name and the next screen should be a list of topics
    Scroll down to Final Details - Click Edit by Special Situations

Make sure the 6th box on the next screen is BLANK. It says...I have money invested in this business that I'm not at risk of losing.  And if you don't have any other boxes on that screen checked then click the last box for None of the above.
    Then hit Done on the Summary screen which will bring you back to the Topic listing and hit Continue at bottom.
    Then you will get a Business Summary screen listing your business - Click Done
    Then you will see the Topic listing again but this time it should say Done with Business at the bottom.
    • MY TT RETURN IS SHOWING A CHECK ON BOX 32A. I WANT IT TO UNHECK BOTH 32A AND 32B. I DID THE STEPS MENTIOED ABOVE OVER AND OVER BUT IT DID NOT WORK. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?
    • Need Schedule C form
    • I followed your above instructions to get box 32A checked, and it still comes up blank.  Is there something else that I entered that is affecting whether it gets checked?
    • Do you have a Profit or Loss?  You only need a check in 32a or 32b if you have a loss.

This post was started 2 years ago.  I think it's the same steps now.  But here it is again for 2013........

Go to Federal Taxes Tab
      Wages and Income,
      Then scroll way down to Business Items
      Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

Or for the Home & Business version…..
      Go to Business tab-Continue
      Then…

If you don't know what it means then probably All your Investment is at Risk (check Box 32a). It means you are using your own money for the business.

Check Box 32b Not at Risk, if you have amounts invested in this business for which you are not at risk, such as the following:
      ---Non-recourse loans used to finance the business
      ---Cash, property or borrowed amounts used in the business that are protected against loss by a guarantee, stop-loss agreement, or other similar arrangement (excluding casualty insurance and insurance against tort liability).
      ---Amounts borrowed for use in the business from a person who has an interest in the business, other than as a creditor.

If you have money not at risk you can not take a loss on schedule C.
    • Yes, I am trying to get the 32A box checked, and have gone through your steps a couple of times, and then reviewed Schedule C via the print center to see if it changed, but no luck. :(
    • I may have revised my post above while you were typing.  Do you have a Loss on schedule C?
    • Oh, maybe because I don't have a loss?  If that's the case, then I don't know why my tax pro would still want to see it checked?
    • Tell him to look at an actual schedule C form.  Line 32 says If you have a loss, check the box that describes your investment.
      http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sc--2012.pdf
    • great thanks!  wish i could ask you another question that is totally unrelated...
    • A question about Turbo Tax?  Please start a new question.
    You can not leave both boxes blank.  You have to check one.  Normally box 32a is checked unless you know for sure you have to check box 32b.

• I also want this box 32a unchecked.  I followed the steps but it doesn't  change.  When I go back to the questions again the none of the above box is unchecked.  Is there a reason it won't save this answer?
    Normally you WANT 32a checked.  As I said above it means you are using your own money for the business.  You have to check either 32a or 32b.  If you check 32b you can not show a loss on schedule C.
    • Since my business shows a profit am I suppose to skip line 32a?  My return last year did not have a check in 32a or 32b and I also showed a profit.  That is why I am puzzled why it is checked this year.
    Oh yes, sorry.  You only need to check box 32a or 32b IF you have a loss.  You're right, I have a gain and neither box is checked.
    • So how do you think I can get it unchecked?  It won't save my answer to the none of the above question.  SOmething else weird it also doesn't save the answer to the question about carrying an inventory.  I do not carry an inventory and select none of the above but when i go back through it it has the my business carries an inventory checked again!  Do you think this a tech error?  Any ideas?
    • I'm having the same issue. It seems like a technical glitch. I'm stuck in a loop trying to check box 32A, but the system won't save changes and update the forms based on that response.
    • I’m trying to file my 2010 taxes and cannot figure out where I edit this on my 2010 Turbotax screens. Please help!

Thanks,
      Suzanne
    Suz....What version do you have?  The answer above is for the Home & Business version.  If you have a different version,  Go to Federal Taxes Tab
    Wages and Income,
    Then scroll way down to Business Items