Illinois State Education Expense Credit -- K12 Tuition paid by Grandparents for our dependents -- can we claim the credit?

Three dependent children in private k12 school in Illinois, majority of costs eligible for Illinois Education Expense Credit is paid for by Grandpa. I know that in the case of Federal Credits for college education the credit is claimed by those for whom the student is a dependent, even if paid by for by gifts from another relative.  Is this the same?  I cannot seem to find this point clarified anywhere for the Illinois Education Expense Credit.  Thank you.
    Illinois education expense credit applies similar law as federal rule. Here is what I found from government instructions:

    Am I eligible for a K-12 education expense credit?
    You may figure a credit for qualified education expenses, in excess of $250, you paid during 2011 if:
    -  you were the parent or legal guardian of a full-time student who was under the age of 21 at the close of the school year,
    - you and your student were Illinois residents when you paid the expenses, and
    - your student attended kindergarten (at a school that also has a first grade) through twelfth grade at a public or nonpublic school in Illinois during 2011.

    Hope this helps.
    • Thank you TurboTaxAda, but the hitch in my question is that my father-in-law has paid almost all of the eligible expenses. It's very clear with the Federal Credits for College Education (and in the way that TurboTax walks you through it confirms also) that you can take the credit if the student is your dependent, even if you did not pay the bill yourself (instructions say explicitly that money paid by a relative can be claimed by whoever the student is dependent on). However, I do not find that clarified one way or the other in the case of the Illinois Education Expense Credit.  Can anyone clarify that point?  Thank you,
    • From what I interpret from the government instructions, the person who is eligible to claim the credit is parents / guardian of the student and paid the expenses. I found a similar question posted in IL Department of Revenue website:

      Q: I am a grandparent and I pay the school expenses for my grandchildren because their parents cannot afford it, so can I take the K-12 Education Expense Credit on my individual income tax return?
      A: No. Only a parent or legal guardian may claim the credit.

      Hope this helps.
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.