Community Property Income Adjustment???

I'm at a total lost with this, so If I made $30,000 this year and my wife made $0.00 does this mean I would subtract $15,000?
  • I am in the same boat, totally lost on that one - hopefully someone will answer the questions
  • I agree. I do not understand this question. Usually, we both report our own income and share the deductions. This does not help with instructions.
  • DITTO DITTO DITTO- this couldn't be more vague........I wonder how many days it will take to answer ???
  • Anyone?
You and your spouse live in a CP state. You each have one job. You earn $20,000 and your spouse earns $80,000. For whatever reason, you want to file separate returns. Your combined incomes are $100,000, so each of you includes $50,000 in your tax return. Your income adjustment is +$30,000 and your spouse's is -$30,000
I SAW THIS ANSWER ELSE WHERE...CUT AND PASTED
  • This is SO confusing. I'm also hoping for an answer soon.
  • My wife and I are separated, she's not about to tell me how much she makes...Why do I need to fill this out???
  • MY HUSBAND AND I ARE SEPERATED, HE IS NOT GOING TO TELL ME WHAT HE MAKES... WHAT DO I DO?
  • I am totally lost with this. My husband and I have been separated for 7 years and have not had any communication since then. I have no way of getting his income amount because he sure isn't going to tell me, if I could find him in the first place.
  • what if you don't speak with your spouse, but know they are on Disability?  They are not about to tell me the amount, nor do i want to ask them.
  • I AM SO CONFUSED WITH THIS PART OF THE DANG TAXES. I ASKED SOMEONE YESTERDAY AND HE WASNT VERY HELPFUL. I NEED HELP WITH THIS LIKE ANYONE ELSE...I AM AT MY WITS END WITH THIS
  • Same issue...does ANYONE know how to file without the info and without zeroing out the information...it is obviously incorrect to zero it all out, but without the info can't file....
  • well, I did the calculation for the community property income, but i am now confused about the tax witholding.

first you add both income
    divide by two
     calculate the about it takes to get to your income amt

for example

me-52,400  
    hubby-31,000

83400/2=41,700

i will subtract 10,700 to get to 52,400
    hubby will add 10,700 to get to 10,700
  • I still don't understand the number for the substraction?  Where do you get that number from?  Is it a percentage of your earnings or a number from another line or?  HELP....  I get that you add both salaries and divide them into 2.  I take it that number is the addition?  What about the substraction?
  • I understood the adding and dividing. Where did you get the $10.700 from??  Be more detailed on the explaination..
  • Now that we know the adding and subtracting, can we find out exactly this has to do with ANYTHING?!?!
  • Example.
    George and Sharon were married through- out the year but did not live together at any time during the year. Both domiciles were in a community property state. They did not file a joint return or transfer any of their earned income between themselves. During the year their incomes were as follows:
    George total income: 26500
    Sharon total income: 34500

Under the community property law of their state, all the income is considered community income. (Some states treat income from separate property as separate in- come—check your state law.)
    Ordinarily, on their separate returns they would each report $30,500, half the total community income of $61,000 ($26,500 + $34,500). But because they meet the four conditions listed earlier under Spouses living apart all year, they must disregard community property law in re- porting all their income (except the interest income) from community property. They each report on their returns only their own earnings and other income, and their share of the interest income from community property. George reports $26,500 and Sharon reports $34,500.

Other separated spouses. If you and your spouse are separated but do not meet the four conditions discussed earlier under Spouses living apart all year, you must treat your income according to the laws of your state. In some states, income earned after separation but before a de- cree of divorce continues to be community income. In other states, it is separate income.