Why did my refund amount change after I filed my state return by mail?

I was checking the status of my federal return on Turbo tax and my state refund increased $280. Do iI need to file an amended return or will the state send me the new amount since my refund has not been processed. I don't know what changed to cause the increase.

2 people found this helpful

Sometimes the State will note an error and send the  increased amount.
Then you don't have to do anything and they will send you a letter with a reason for the change.
(unless you want to challenge them for giving you too much.)

If you printed, or saved a copy to PDF when you first printed out your NC tax return...That copy hasn't changed, just give it a new name (Init_NC_TAxReturn.pdf) to prevent an overwrite,

Only then, print out the "new" tax return and compare them line-by=line to see what changed.  Could just be a software update error (there were NC updates on 1/22 and 2/8).  If you find the error, and NC doesn't refund you the extra automatically...after the refund comes and yoou know what it is, only then consider doing an NC amendment.

I always tell people to never file before 1 March.  Let all the software bugs be worked out on someone else's tax return.

(EDITED IN LATER.  Read the Following Post:
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
2 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community