CONTRIBUTIONS TO 401K....NJ TAXES

I RECEIVED INCOME ON 1099....NO DEDUCTIONS NO NOTHING...I PAID INTO MY 401K INDEPENDENTLY BY CHECK TO MY 401K...IT IS  NOT SHOWN ON MY 1099...CAN I DEDUCT THIS CONTRIBUTION ON MY NJ TAXES
    Yes, NJ allows you to deduct this, as an adjustment to Federal Schedule C.  Go to the NJ tax website, and read the instructions for form NJ-1040, Line 17 (Net Profits from Business).  NJ, however, does not permit you to record a net loss on that line.
    • my 401k contributions were entered on the 1040 form on my federal return...it does not show up on schedule c
    That is correct.  As a result, you must make an adjustment for purposes of your state return.  As I suggested, read that section of the NJ-1040 instructions on the NJ tax website.