Do I get a penalty if I amend, and owe taxes?

I am still waiting on a 1099G and I may owe a little after I amend.... If I owe taxes, will I also get a payment penalty, or can I claim the payment extension? I cannot claim it ahead of time, can I, just in case?  Right now I do not owe, and do not get a refund.....
    I'm a little confused if you're thinking about amending a return that has already been accepted, or if you're still waiting on a 1099G and haven't filed yet, and are thinking of filing an extension.

    This page here has a ton of good info re: filing an extension:

    And remember, if you do file an extension, it is an extension of time to FILE, not an extension of time to PAY!  From the website:

    If you have a balance due on your tax return, your tax payment is due April 17, 2012. The IRS allows up to six months after the April 17, 2012 deadline to file an income tax return. However, there are no extensions granted for tax payments. If you do not make a tax payment by the due date, the IRS charges interest and can assess penalties for all late tax payments.

    Hope this helps!
    • I have not file yet, waiting on paperwork. I understand if I request an extension, that there is no extension for payment, but if I file now and amend the file after I get the information, do I still get the penalty if I owe?    I can prepay, but  if I don't know if/how much I will have to.... if I pay anything and it turns out to be more, I'll still get the penalty, but if I amend, it's like a new filing, is it not?  I guess I'm trying to figure out if my best bet is to file, wait for the paperwork and amend, or ask for an extension and hope that i can pay the penalty if i end up owing?
    • My understanding is that all taxes owed are due by April 17th unless you've made some other arrangement with the IRS (installment plan, etc.)  I know you can pay when you efile your extension thru the TT Easy Extension application.  I think of an amended filing more like a "fixed" one rather than a "new" one.
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.