truck driver meals

Is there a "standard amount" for the deduction for meals (in Job related Expenses) or do you have to have receipts? Husband is Over The Road Truck Driver. He spent about $20/day on food.... 5days a week, 50 weeks a year.
    You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:

*      Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and
        *      Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

This includes individuals subject to the Department of Transportation's “hours of service” limits include the following persons.

* Certain air transportation workers (such as pilots, crew, dispatchers, mechanics, and control tower operators) who are under Federal Aviation Administration regulations.
    * Interstate truck operators and bus drivers who are under Department of Transportation regulations.
    * Certain railroad employees (such as engineers, conductors, train crews, dispatchers, and control operations personnel) who are under Federal Railroad Administration regulations.
    * Certain merchant mariners who are under Coast Guard regulations.
    _______
    Amount

The amount is $59/day overnight ($65 in Alaska or Hawaii).  Eighty percent is deductible, compared to 50% for non-DOT travel.
    _____________
    Where to Deduct

The deduction is a miscellaneous itemized deduction if you are an employee.  They are claimed under the deductions and credit tab.  Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

Example:  If your AGI is $50,000, only miscellaneous deductions over $1,000 are deductible.  Because of this, many items deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions have no tax value because the taxpayer doesn't itemize, or because they are lost in the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation.
    • where is "miscellaneous deductions" under Deductions and Credits tab? I see the "job related expenses"... it doesn't go there?
    They would be under the category "employment related expenses", then "Job Related Expenses".  (Those categories are from my desktop version, but I assume they are the same for the on-line program.)
    • Thanks so much!
    • my husband is also an otr truck driver. our refund did not get any higher after putting in the food/meals deduction/ why is that?
    KW- see the first answer

"The deduction is a miscellaneous itemized deduction if you are an employee. They are claimed under the deductions and credit tab. Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. "

most likely you either aren't itemizing or it's not enough to make a difference.....
    • Husband is a Truck Driver. I started out with us owing $20k just as soon as I entered his income of about $140k. I bout freaked out thinking what did we get into here. But after entering most of the deductions I'm happy to see that the amount due is down to $2174.00. I still have some little things to enter such as tolls, scales, office expenses and miles driven in my personal vehicle to pick up parts.  I knew once we started this business we would never see a refund again, but I can handle owing $2k verses $20k. I will sleep better tonight!